King’s Official Route Guide - 1920

Brian_Heil

My dear friend sent me this for Christmas. He and I met in kindergarten.  Thoughtful gift for and old car guy.  Thanks Marty!

This Guide covers Michigan and Northern Indiana.  642 pages plus several fold out maps. 

The Fenton Hotel is still here and still serving frog legs as a specialty.  Actually been serving tourists since 1856. 

67630359-E77D-4627-9BB5-D995762A211E.jpeg

089A0B68-7E37-4689-80FF-228034AE1B8D.jpeg

0C373CAD-BCA2-4EEF-83F3-0D08F4AE94E0.jpeg

Edited by Brian_Heil
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Ben:  Usually the State Farm Road Atlases from the late 1940s show up on Ebay, you can get one for about $30. None as of today.

Here is a Blue Book from 1922 on there currently:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1922-KELLY-TIRES-AUTOMOBILE-BLUE-BOOK-CAR-AUTO-NEW-YORK-NORTHEAST/222679561268?hash=item33d8bc7434:g:8TwAAOSwvflZOJVF

You can also find the ALA Green Books, same idea, but they are less common.

Cheers and Happy Holidays, Dave

3F here tonight in mid Michigan. Good night to hunker down by the fireplace and thumb through this. Amazing detail. Found  an add for the Ann Arbor Buick Dealership. 

Interesting almost every garage that took out an ad is open 24/7. ‘We never close’, ‘All Night Repairs’. ‘Capable Man on Duty All Hours’. 

• Like 3

And, thanks to Google, you can all have your own copy/access:

https://books.google.com/books/about/King_s_Official_Route_Guide.html?id=Ez0XAQAAMAAJ

I have lived in Fenton and the Fenton area since 1981 and based on the written directions, and looking at Google Maps on my laptop at the same time, I cannot figure out which route they take to Ann Arbor, a trip I've made a thousand times, many times by back roads.  None of the cross roads are labeled.  Just 'cross road @ XX.X mile'.

For the record, we had -12F (-24C) last night. That's cold even for us here in 'Cabin Fever', Michigan.

• Like 1

I have a 1931-1932 Ontario Motor League Road Book. It's fun trying to map out car club tours using it for a guide. Instructions like "Turn right after crossing railway tracks" (torn out 40 years ago) or "turn left at big elm tree" makes it a bit challenging.

Jim

Ontario Motor League Road Book 1931-32.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Thriller said:

It was -31C (-24F give or take) here at 9:00 this morning. It's making preparations to bring the 1929 home more challenging. 

Oh, a regular heat wave. 

Did I mention you can have this back?

All of it. 

Happy New Year Brother!

• Haha 1