mufflers

rjp

The Powell muffler was what was original equipment on some Franklin cars. It's made up of a series of metal cups with holes in the bottom all joined together.

I think at some stage in the past the Franklin Club had cups made.

There's at least one thread here already about them

Roger

It depends on what your interests are. Do you want to be authentic or just quiet your car. No one in our club is going to be upset with anyone using a simple muffler, but if your out there for AACA judging then you should consider $21.00 a section. Have you looked at the club prices for the exhaust pipe on the side draft cars? At $300 - $400 plus it adds up too. Unfortunately  we are not in a cheap hobby. And, try to have those sections made yourself and I would venture to say that $21.00 might be cheap!

I was involved in the possible reproduction of a new run of Powell muffler cans about 2 years back and found the forms (bucks) that were used to make the original rerun. I believe the bucks were obtained from the metal stamping business that had stored them and have been stored with a club member in the Syracuse area. We found the cost of making a new run of cans to be prohibitive. Additionally, the run was for the cans only. The stamping of holes was not included. Several cans had identical hole patterns and there were other cans that had a different hole layout. No ends were researched for cost or machining. Series 10, 11 and 12 had 6" dia. cans, but the ends of each Series had different ends, both inlet and outlet. Refer to HHFCo drawings 31551, 32588 and 35563. Note the original period cans are nearly twice the weight of the repro's the club made.

Other automobile companies also used Powell mufflers. You might get lucky and find one in a flea market or on ebay as I did, although it wasn't for a Franklin, I was able to use the cans.

My 11A came with some modern, very oval muffler on it with offset inlet and outlet that caused the pipes to be routed in quite different places.

So my first fix it up was to get a Walker 18129 muffler from  Amazon - it was the closest I could find to the original diameter and length - 24" long and 6" diameter. It has 2" inlet and outlet. Sadly they're slightly offset too, but it let me get the pipes more back in the right places.

https://www.amazon.com/Walker-18129-Tru-Fit-Universal-Muffler/dp/B000C917GU

My next effort is probably going to be to get a Waldron muffler - they will make one the right dimensions with the inlet and outlet centred for about $85.

I've looked at the club drawings and still am quite confused about how the Powell cups are drilled to let the gases go through, so if I ever go for one of them it will be quite some way in the future.

Roger

This will make me  look dumb, but here goes. drawing no. 40465 I think is for 29 sires 13, 45960 is for all side draft engines. The 45690 is only about inch dif. than a 26. Thinking about using it. Are both of these side draft? and are they both the same. The club does sell one of these.Thanks and please don't laugh to much.  Roger

Ahh - gotcha.

Waldron show a regular muffler at 25" long and 6" diameter at $80

http://waldronexhaust.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_382&products_id=4615

although from that image it does seem to have the same size inlet and outlet.

The muffler I put on my car came with 2" inlet and outlet, but I bought a reducer on Ebay for under $10 that stepped the 2" outlet down to the size of my tailpipe (which is wrong too - a project for another day).

Roger