1928 Buick Universal Joint Ball question

dracenroc

I dismantled my universal joint.

The shop manual is talking about a "felt packing in the universal joint cup". Can someone explain me where this felt packing should be?

Second, the parts book shows a "Universal Joint Boot" (Bobs also sells it) but I cannot figure out were that one is going to.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

My 29 had no felt in the cup area. It does have a leather boot that was secured with wire. It encases the the area where the ball and cup articulate. It protects the surfaces from exposure to road elements. I do see in the cutaway about what appears to be a felt strip in the cup area where it contacts the ball.

• Like 2

The red arrows are where the felt "seal" is located.  As the ball rotates inside it's outer shell the felt seal scrapes the ball and supposedly keeps the oil in.  I replaced mine on rebuild and it still leaks.  Next time I would use an "O" ring like later years.  If there is not a size procurable , then all you would do is get one larger circumference then cut it and rejoin with super glue.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dracenroc said:

I dismantled my universal joint.

The shop manual is talking about a "felt packing in the universal joint cup". Can someone explain me where this felt packing should be?

Second, the parts book shows a "Universal Joint Boot" (Bobs also sells it) but I cannot figure out were that one is going to.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

I believe that the piece in the above picture is a cover/boot that when the ends are joined, the large end goes over the detent area just to the left and back on the drive shaft. There should be a clamp that holds the boot in place and then it is also clamped behind that point to the left. 

At least that is the way it is on my '15 truck.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The first photo is from Larry DiBarry, and it is of the gaskets he made, and the teflon packing material that Bobs Automobilia sells as a replacement for the felt seal.  I think the idea of using an elastomer (rubber O ring) material may be a better choice than the packing.   The packing is still a better choice than felt.  The second photo is of the leather band that was installed around the torque ball seal.  The leather has some semicircular shape and is stitched into a 3 1/2" wide band.  2 pieces of wire are used to pull it tight and hold it in place.  This band came from a 1926 Master so maybe verify the dimensions for your car.  I don't think all cars had the belts and suspenders approach of the additional leather band.  I think it is a little too late if the oil is in the band.   Hugh

5a41d281abe7c_DSCF2971TorqueBallsealandgaskets-Larry.thumb.JPG.a596e7fe8695cc0480f820797129f5de.JPG

5a41d2a38bcc5_IMG_5880torqueballseal.thumb.JPG.0419f0b6b26abdac99155b91ddcc6769.JPG

5a41d2b260ab4_IMG_5883torqueballseal.thumb.JPG.8f59d91f8a6b52b6ef56ef948182a625.JPG

• Like 1

With a closer look to the outer shell it looks like its not the same part as shown in Hugh's (Larry DiBarry's) picture. Mine is completely round. There is no groove to hold a seal or packing.

Compared to the 1928 parts book it looks like the correct one. Its hard to see in the picture of part 208295 if it has a groove or not but it looks like there is none.

I'm still wondering where this felt packing as described in the shop manual should go. The parts book tells nothing about a felt packing nor something from another seal.

The only parts mentioned are flange gaskets and the joint boot.

IMG_3475.jpg

IMG_3474.jpg

IMG_3476.jpg