identifying an engine 1940-1949

-morten-

hi,

i have a 1940 series 56 with an 248 engine. the engine is a replacement engine without any engine stamp on it.

the carb is for a 1941-49.

the gasket for the thermostathousing is for: 1936-1940 60,70,80,90 320 engines or 1941-49 all engines

the radiatorhoses is NOT for 1940.

there are quite a few options on radiatorhoses between 40 and 49, and i was not hoping to try them all before i found the right one.

i also know that there is a difference on the downpipe exhaust (at least between the 40 and 41), but have not found any pictures of that. mine has a large J-shape.

hope the anyone can help me out before CARS get a big order on radiatorhoses.

take care.

-morten-

I think 1946 is when they changed the front motor mounts from the front corners to near the middle. But to fit your 1940 they would have them in the corners where your car's mounts are, but you can see the bolt holes near the middle where the mounts would go if they put it in the later cars.

Water pump changed too. Which pump do you have?

27 minutes ago, Morgan Wright said:

Is that disconnected copper tube near the water pump coming from the intake manifold? I bet your wipers don't work.

There is no disconnected tubes in the pictures. If you meen the tube on the left of the waterpump on the picture of the right side of engine, is it connected to the bottom part of engineblock.

But the original fuelpump is removed and the vacuum is taken directly from manifold.

Sorry it looked like it was dangling. Mine has 2 vacuum lines from the manifold: one to the fuel pump and one to the distributor. The fuel pump was supposed to add vacuum to the wipers but I gave up and got an electric wiper motor. Best thing I ever did. 6 volts is plenty to run a 12 V wiper motors they sell. So they wipe a little slow, don't drive in a hurricane.

14 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Ok. morten, since the engine has the side mounting blocks, it is a '48 or later.  Since it DOES NOT have the '50 or later water pump, it is a '48 or '49.  The engine number should be stamped into the block underneath the water pump. If you ever pull it, grab that number.

Ben

Thanks for the info. I have a blank space just in front of distributor where enginenumber should have been. But there is also another place under waterpump?

20171210_211927.jpg

Edited by -morten- (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Morgan Wright said:

I think 1946 is when they changed the front motor mounts from the front corners to near the middle. But to fit your 1940 they would have them in the corners where your car's mounts are, but you can see the bolt holes near the middle where the mounts would go if they put it in the later cars.

Water pump changed too. Which pump do you have?

They changed the front motor mounts in 1948.  Top of the blowby pipe (part of the sidepan cover) was squarish until '41 and then became round.  Dipstick changed location in 1940 to the rear of the block, passenger side. Prior was at the bottom of the block, below and behind the fuel pump.  Thermostat housing changed in 41 to the same used on the 320 engine back to '36.  The '50 Super did have the 263 cid engine.  Buick offered a new replacement engine fitting back to 1937 in 1949, which was like the 1948-49 version, and probably did not have an engine number, unless the dealership might have stamped in the original engine number (that makes for a lot of confusion).

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

37 minutes ago, Morgan Wright said:

The fuel pump was supposed to add vacuum to the wipers but I gave up and got an electric wiper motor. Best thing I ever did. 6 volts is plenty to run a 12 V wiper motors they sell.

Just put in a new vacuum wiper engine. As i see it, the biggest problem is the wiperarms and blades. But i find that Rain-X usually does the trick.

Nowadays you can by verry small and cheap 6v to 12v converters.

29 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

They changed the front motor mounts in 1948.  Top of the blowby pipe (part of the sidepan cover) was squarish until '41 and then became round.  Dipstick changed location in 1940 to the rear of the block, passenger side. Prior was at the bottom of the block, below and behind the fuel pump.  Thermostat housing changed in 41 to the same used on the 320 engine back to '36.  The '50 Super did have the 263 cid engine.  Buick offered a new replacement engine fitting back to 1937 in 1949, which was like the 1948-49 version, and probably did not have an engine number, unless the dealership might have stamped in the original engine number (that makes for a lot of confusion).

Hi, this sound verry correct. Does this mean that the engine is a 263?

16 hours ago, Morgan Wright said:

got an electric wiper motor. Best thing I ever did. 6 volts is plenty to run a 12 V wiper motors they sell. So they wipe a little slow, don't drive in a hurricane.

just an example of a step up converter 48w $10 incl shipping:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-5V-6V-7V-8V-9V-10V-11V-Step-Up-to-12V-48W-Car-Power-Boost-Converter-Regulator/332414304186?hash=item4d656fbfba:g:BYoAAOSwuZlZxG6F