Looking for a 1953 hydro-electric control valve

Our Buicks

I've started a restoration of my very rusty 1953 Skylark........real bad floors and rockers.

One of the casualties of all that rust was the hydro-electric control valve under the rear seat.......it's too far gone even to rebuild.

Is there a vendor that sells these?    Or do I work around it by installing a separate pump for just the convertible top?

Also where do I get the rubber hydraulic lines to the windows and the top pump....I think I can handle the steel lines myself.

Any light you guys can shed on this window and top system would be real helpful.

Thanks,  Mike

Mike,

You would be better off sticking with the original setup rather than trying to find separate pumps for the convertible top and the two rear quarter windows. A 1940s 6-volt under-the-dash combination folding top control valve/switch won't cut it. You need 12-volt folding top operating valve solenoids with the eight hydraulic line ports to operate the two rear quarter windows (each gets a pressure line...no return line) and the two top cylinders (each gets a pressure and return line). There are actually two solenoids in the single housing that can be rewound.  This part is also interchangeable with other Buick, Oldsmobile, and Cadillac convertible models and shouldn't be too difficult to find. Send me a PM with your Skylark's body production number if you want further info. Thanks.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint" 

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

I called Hydro-E-Lectric today...............they said they couldn't rebuild my valve.....no surprise there.

They told me to find a used valve for 1951, 1952, 1953 or 1954  Buick, Cadillac or Oldsmobile convertible cars.

A 1956 to a 1962 Corvette Convertible also had the same valve.

Since they are rebuilding the used valve the 6 volt or 12 volt doesn't matter, they will change it to 12 volts.

They also can replace all the rubber hydraulic hoses to the top and window cylinder.......it sounds like the hoses will be plastic with fittings.

I'm hoping that somebody here has this valve that I can buy.

Thanks, Mike

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like it's going to be tough to find this Hydro-Electric valve........so......

If push comes to shove, I'm leaning toward a separate pump for the convertible top and using the stock rebuilt main pump for the windows and the seat....This separate convertible top pump would lay horizontally behind the rear seat on that shelf above the trunk and would be plumbed to the upper and lower fittings on the top cylinders. This pump would be wired to the convertible top switch.

All I would have to do is setup a "T" fitting under the rear seat for the rear windows and let the window cylinder solenoids handle the opening and closing of the rear quarter windows. Hydraulic pressure would come from the main firewall pump.

I would love to hear any thoughts on this set-up......Do you guys think this could work?.......Thanks,  Mike

It looks like it's going to be tough to find this Hydro-Electric valve........so......

If push comes to shove, I'm leaning toward a separate pump for the convertible top and using the stock rebuilt main pump for the windows and the seat....This separate convertible top pump would lay horizontally behind the rear seat on that shelf above the trunk and would be plumbed to the upper and lower fittings on the top cylinders. This pump would be wired to the convertible top switch.

All I would have to do is setup a "T" fitting under the rear seat for the rear windows and let the window cylinder solenoids handle the opening and closing of the rear quarter windows. Hydraulic pressure would come from the main firewall pump.

I would love to hear any thoughts on this set-up......Do you guys think this could work?.......Thanks,  Mike

Since this is a Skylark,  it seems it would be appropriate, and worth the extra work, to do the car right. I don't know how far you have gone in replacing the floor under the valve, but isn't this something that you can take more time to try and locate the right valve?   Check you PM's for a message.