1929 Chrysler 65 engine removal

I'd take the engine and gearbox out as a unit.  The transmission is quite small and doesn't add that much weight.  You can do it either way but getting the trans to mate up with the engine when you're putting it back in can be a pain.

Yes out as one unit is the quickest. Take the Radiator out  remove the two bolts at the front engine mount, four blots from the cross member and take the top of the gear box off (gear shift get in the way) unbolt the drive shaft and Bob's  your Uncle! You might consider taking the Headlights out as well just so they don't get damaged.

My opinion is that the removal of the transmission is the best way to go. Removing the whole driveline as a unit becomes problematic because the transmission on a Chrysler 65 is also the bell housing and has the pedal assembly attached as well. The transmission has the rear engine mounts attached and could be left in the car, but clutch realignment may be a problem.

After having a quick look I don’t think that you’ll get enough clearance to be able to drop the engine down, and if you want to leave the steering box in place then the best way to do it is to take the gearbox off first and then the engine, leaving the cross member in place.

By the way what are you planning to do to the engine?

IMG_0651.JPG

• Like 1

Ah what am I planning to do to the engine well it it did let me down a couple of times in the middle of nowhere so I would love to inflict a little pain upon it ? But the truth is I want to go through it give it a major clean?. Then methodically check everything and see how worn parts, what's broken, what needs replacing?️ . I know that I have at least 2 pistons with cracked compression rings and a worn out timing chain also a blown head gasket so I want it to be as reliable as vehicle of this age can be so I'm giving it a thorough going through 

17 hours ago, Sasha39 said:

After having a quick look I don’t think that you’ll get enough clearance to be able to drop the engine down, and if you want to leave the steering box in place then the best way to do it is to take the gearbox off first and then the engine, leaving the cross member in place.

By the way what are you planning to do to the engine?

IMG_0651.JPG

Drag files here to attach, or choose files... 
Max file size 125MB

Hey @Sasha39, what is that black hose that runs along the top of the water jacket covers from the firewall to the front of the engine? A conduit for the generator wiring?

Apologies to Vintageben for the hi-jack.