Colourised old photos from New Zealand

nzcarnerd

This lot appeared on a local facebook page and I thought worth sharing. Posting all at once but maybe might repost some individually if there are comments or questions. Most are from a series called 'Colourising the Hutt' - The Hutt (Lower and Upper Hutt) being the northern suburbs of Wellington.

20s.jpg

50s.jpg

Hutt 50ish.jpg

Hutt 60s.jpg

Hutt c 51.jpg

Hutt Royal Tour 54.jpg

MG late 50s.jpg

MM 50s.jpg

Petone 11.jpg

Petone 48.jpg

petone truck 20s.jpg

Star truck Upper Hutt 20s.jpg

Upper Hutt 10s.jpg

Wgtn 20s.jpg

Wgtn 58.jpg

Woolworths 60s.jpg

Worser Bay 1908.jpg

Yanks WW2.jpg

• Like 2

Well I recognise the corner of Willis Street and Lambton Quay in Wellington, with the tram and a car with two spares on the back turning right. The Bank of New Zealand building became "Stewart Dawsons" and being unreinforced masonry is an earthquake risk. So in the last 15 or 20 years it has been gutted and base isolation installed. Lambton Quay (running to the left) was the shore line in the 1840s. All that to the right was reclaimed by moving Plimmer's Hill (which was off to the left) into it (the steps running up where it used to be of course called Plimmer's Steps). When they were digging the new foundations they found "Plimmers Ark" buried in the mud. It was a small "ship" owned by Plimmer that was sunk as part of the reclamation works.

I wonder if the American servicemen are waiting to go to camp at Paraparaumu, or to board a ship to go home or to the battle field in the Pacific? They look pretty good so I doubt they have come in from the Pacific camps. The camp site at Paraparaumu is now Queen Elizabeth Park, the home of the Tramway Museum.

In the Woolworths photo, the license plate CM356 was issued in 1964.

In the photo with the penny farthing, the license plate on the Holden was issued 1956-1961.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Well I recognise the corner of Willis Street and Lambton Quay in Wellington, with the tram and a car with two spares on the back turning right. The Bank of New Zealand building became "Stewart Dawsons" and being unreinforced masonry is an earthquake risk. So in the last 15 or 20 years it has been gutted and base isolation installed. Lambton Quay (running to the left) was the shore line in the 1840s. All that to the right was reclaimed by moving Plimmer's Hill (which was off to the left) into it (the steps running up where it used to be of course called Plimmer's Steps). When they were digging the new foundations they found "Plimmers Ark" buried in the mud. It was a small "ship" owned by Plimmer that was sunk as part of the reclamation works.

I wonder if the American servicemen are waiting to go to camp at Paraparaumu, or to board a ship to go home or to the battle field in the Pacific? They look pretty good so I doubt they have come in from the Pacific camps. The camp site at Paraparaumu is now Queen Elizabeth Park, the home of the Tramway Museum.

In the Woolworths photo, the license plate CM356 was issued in 1964.

In the photo with the penny farthing, the license plate on the Holden was issued 1956-1961.

Yes, the Holden/penny farthing pic was dated 1958.

The 'twin spares' car I am fairly certain is a Hudson - a popular model IN NZ.

The Star truck at Upper Hutt has been dated as circa 1914.

The other truck is an Albion from circa 1910.

The Ford factory at Seaview pic was taken when the Royals visited 1953/54.

One car I don't recognise is the light blue coupe in the pic with the '36 Ford convertible and the blue '47 Chev.