24 Buick starter generator rear bushing

27donb

On my starter generator, the front armature bearing is a ball bearing, lubricated by an oil cup.   But the rear bearing is a bushing, lubricated by an oil cup that feeds a chamber packed with a wicking material that drags and lubes the bushing. 

What material should I use as a replacement wick for this chamber?  My original wick material has seen its best day... 

21 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

The wicking material is felt similar to the felt seals on the rear axles. 

Contact Olsen's Gaskets in Port Orchard WA or Mc Master Car to get what you need.

Mc Master has felt material, but is there a method to packing the cavity?  Whatever was in there was more like a rope or string and it wasn't that tightly packed. 

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:17 PM, 27donb said:

Mc Master has felt material, but is there a method to packing the cavity?  Whatever was in there was more like a rope or string and it wasn't that tightly packed. 

The rope style wadding may have been the original, but the felt will work just fine and was/is also used for this kind of thing. As mentioned also by Mark, fill the space, but don't pack it tightly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Going on year 2 1/2 with my Standard, and finally getting a chance to look at the SG unit.  So when I look at the rear packing, there looks to be sufficient felt in the chamber when looking from above where the oil goes in.  When I look in the shaft hole at the gap between the bronze bushings there is only a narrow slot, and I can see some packing in the slot area but not a lot.  A few gaps.  Can I just take a sewing pin and bend the end and try to pull a little more of the packing down into the crack where the shaft rides and call it good? 

2 photos One from the top, and one in the shaft area.

Hugh

IMG_5859.thumb.JPG.312fb38880190e968744aab4d423c355.JPGIMG_5864.thumb.JPG.89efb23d77a33de60bdecef1986bd371.JPG 

• Like 1