Turn Signal Add ons

kclark

I use the waving arm too. But it doesn't work to turn to the left (we are RHD) and I would rather have both hands on the wheel in today's traffic! I am following this topic with interest - thank you for raising the topic.

I am sure I have seen some wiring diagrams in the search this topic started me on, for just what you ask.

I have thought about using the cowl lights too, but I suspect in today's rush rush rush mob of drivers, they wouldn't see them and wouldn't know what it meant if they did.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

11 hours ago, nvonada said:

Arm out the window is your best bet.  Totally original!  Your best improvement for safety is bright brake lights.   Most on these old cars are horrible.

Nathan

Nowadays, most drivers under 50 years old will simply assume you are drying your nail polish. Hand signals seem to no longer be taught, either to drivers or bicyclists. :(

10 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

I use the waving arm too. But it doesn't work to turn to the left (we are RHD) and I would rather have both hands on the wheel in today's traffic! I am following this topic with interest - thank you for raising the topic.

How did/do hand signals work in New Zealand? In the USA its arm up for right turn, and arm straight out for left (this is with left hand drive and right hand traffic).  

Is this in a car that has the steering wheel on the wrong side for New Zealand?

2 hours ago, Bloo said:

How did/do hand signals work in New Zealand?

Straight out (to the right of course) = turning right. Out and bent straight up (90o) at elbow, palm forwards = stopping. Never learnt a left turn signal, but my wife tells me in UK they used an out and down for turning left.  I generally try to point over the roof but who knows if they get it. Our old cars are "all" RHD, although more recent imports from North America are left hook and generally not converted. My Stude comes from South Bend and the Dodge from Windsor, Ontario.

I don't think I would need any turn or hand signals in New Zealand. At $5.67 (US) per gallon for petrol and since my car gets less than 10 US miles to the gallon, I would just have to leave it parked and see if I could afford to wash and polish it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keninman said:

I don't think I would need any turn or hand signals in New Zealand. At $5.67 (US) per gallon for petrol and since my car gets less than 10 US miles to the gallon, I would just have to leave it parked and see if I could afford to wash and polish it. 

Price rises don't deter people for long and only a small portion of the pop. worry about economy. The Dodge does 10 mpg (UK gallon) and only has a small tank so the range is only about 100 miles. I considered going on the Dodge Brothers Centenary  tour from Cape Reinga to Bluff (the length of NZ) a couple of years ago, but it would have cost $2000+ for fuel alone. Remember we would be doing it both ways, to the start and back from the end.

Have a look at the price of fuel in UK if you think ours is pricey. Petrol is taxed at the pump, diesel is not. Diesel has historically been for heavy traffic so they pay Road User Charges, which are related to the weight of the vehicle (pavement wear is proportional to axle weight to the power of four).

• Like 1

Oh dear, Christine says in UK the slowing down signal was a straight arm going up and down and the left turn is the hand on a straight arm making a circle. LOL. How following drivers are supposed to different a circle from up-down motion defeats me. I was wrong about the drooping arm meaning left - it just meant you were dropping the butt or your chewing gum.

• Haha 1

Our gas prices in Indiana leaped to over $2.50 a US (gallon = 3.79 liters) yesterday. Perhaps because we have had a couple of oil rigs blow up in the last week. It had been hanging around $2.20 - $2.35. At the worst of the financial crisis it never got to $4 per gallon. I myself worry as electric vehicles keep progressing that it will one day be as hard to find gasoline here as it was in the very early twentieth century. What then will we burn in our antiques? At least Indiana is corn country, I guess I can make distill some ethanol or convert my buggy to LNG. 

As for hand signals, they still teach them in Indiana because so many cyclists use them. (p.s. not bicyclists, Harley Davidson and Indian riders)