WTB: 63-65 Riviera Rear Seat Frame

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

Working on my "restromod" '64 Riviera and after years of packing around 2000 Eldorado front buckets I've finally declared defeat at bypassing the memory modules and finding replacement semi-custom seat covers for them so they are headed to be the new back seats and 97-99 Acura CL seats are headed for the fronts at some point soon.

IMAG0750.thumb.jpg.6e17f92babb735790b230b7063b81b91.jpg

Now I need to mount these things in the car and I'd like to use the stock style frames with their attachment points as the mechanism.  Does anyone have a set of frames from a parts car that they'd be willing to strip down and send me?  Just looking for the wire bits with the attachment points.  Worst case I'll have to fab some myself but would rather start with a known good set without destroying my good interior which I intend to sell (thread for that to come).

Thanks

8 hours ago, lrlforfun said:

OK CTX: I got everything you'll need in Castro Valley.  Mitch

Mitch,

Wonderful to hear.  I was hoping you'd have something like this.  I bought the floors out of that '63 the guy out in Byron was parting out after another guy bought the frame and is scrapping the rest of the hulk.  I'll have to make time to come out and visit you.

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

I think the rear seat frames/springs are a full length unit, not individual items.

Ed

Ed,

I think they might be, I'd rather not ruin a seat that's usable so I was hoping to find one that had broken springs or the like that made it a bad candidate to redo.

I'll have to put my current set of seats up for sale soon after I get them all cleaned up.

18 minutes ago, CTX-SLPR said:

Mitch,

Wonderful to hear.  I was hoping you'd have something like this.  I bought the floors out of that '63 the guy out in Byron was parting out after another guy bought the frame and is scrapping the rest of the hulk.  I'll have to make time to come out and visit you.

Ed,

I think they might be, I'd rather not ruin a seat that's usable so I was hoping to find one that had broken springs or the like that made it a bad candidate to redo.

I'll have to put my current set of seats up for sale soon after I get them all cleaned up.

Got it! Keep us updated.

The rear seat springs are made up as one frame piece that straddles the transmission hump. A few years back I had to repair the corners that had rusted on my 63 before re-upholstering. It happens from the rear window leaking, then the unpainted seat frame sits upon the wet carpet and rusts. I ended up combining my original frame with two others I found at CTC Auto Ranch to make one good one. Lots of cutting and welding. If you can find a dry, un-rusted one...you're lucky. PRL

• 2 weeks later...

Mitch has hooked me up with some shredded upholstery and slightly rusty frame for the project.  Maybe I'll have time this weekend to detach the padding and vinyl from the frame and take a look at how they'll mate up.  Intestingly I never paid attention to the way the seat backs fit the wheel wells and that will be great for fitting the new seats to the wheel wells.

Pictures when work happens.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well traveled for a few weeks, then Thanksgiving, then family sickness, and now leaving for Christmas with the family back in TX here is a few days.  I have pulled the cushions off of the bottom and am debating cutting the springs.  Some are definitely rusted beyond salvage but one side is pretty much intact.  Any market for the springs if I can get them out intact or should I just cut them near the attach points and be done with it?

Thanks

In my experience, if the frame is rusted in places, it's likely that some of the springs are also questionable. Particularly, the springs that are closest to the floorboard might be rotten. Luckily, you can piece together springs using sections from the upper (non rusted) part of the seat if you can locate a semi solid donor seat.  My "Frankenseat" was the union for three donor seats. PRL

23 hours ago, petelempert said:

In my experience, if the frame is rusted in places, it's likely that some of the springs are also questionable. Particularly, the springs that are closest to the floorboard might be rotten. Luckily, you can piece together springs using sections from the upper (non rusted) part of the seat if you can locate a semi solid donor seat.  My "Frankenseat" was the union for three donor seats. PRL

This makes it seem like I have a decent set of donor spring coils for someone else's "Frankenseat" needs.  I'll see if I can get them out without too much damage to the good sections.  I know someone who has a blaster that can reveal what's really going on once they're out.