Sitting garaged for 33 years

metalmoto

Glad to hear that your Dad is still with you, and that you still want to get your car going.  You're correct to get the paperwork and title settled before proceeding too far with the car...the potential for frustration is too great if you don't approach it that way. I wouldn't be too cautious about cranking the engine over, though. If it was rebuilt it probably doesn't have all that much sludge in it, even if it was sitting a long time. If you didn't see large-ish pieces of solidified oil and sludge when you first drained the oil, that's a good sign. You could even change the oil one more time to see if any residue was loosened by the previous oil change.

One thing you could do is put an aftermarket mechanical oil pressure gauge (of decent quality) on it. My experience with factory fomoco gauges of the '50's and 60's has made me presume they are inaccurate until proven otherwise. If the engine is turning freely (take all the plugs out to see how freely it turns) you can crank the engine without starting it (since I think you previously said you put oil in the cylinders) and see if the oil pressure goes up any on the gauge while cranking. You might also take the valve cover off to see if there's any evidence of oil around the rockers and shafts while cranking. If you get positive results on both those things, you might have the carb issues addressed and see if you can start it. 

I personally wouldn't do anything to the transmission or gas tank or fuel lines until I first saw how the engine runs at idle. (Of course, you'll need to run off of a gas can to do this.) As with the title, you don't want to go down costly or labor intensive avenues until you've incrementally verified the most essential functions of the car. My approach wouldn't be to get the car prepared so you can start it up and drive around the block, but to first see how good the oiling system is, then see how well the car runs, then see if the tranny needs work, then have the brakes checked, etc., etc.  Each success will motivate you to do more...and will be less daunting than getting the car entirely road ready.  Best wishes.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2017 at 5:04 AM, metalmoto said:

I have many years experience working on cars, just nothing this old , with points ignition etc.

Thank you all for your positive replies!

I have so many questions, and will gladly contribute my knowledge to others, in return for your help.

Sincerely,

Dave

Wow, not used to working on anything, "...this old." Sigh. Now I feel VERY old myself!! 😞

Seriously though, Good luck with your project car, Dave. And welcome to the forum! 

I want to second what Rusty said. They make brand new fantastic correct-style gas tanks for most popular collector cars from this era. I'm sure there must be brand new reproductions available. It's SO much better than fighting incessant problems with dirt/rust getting into your carburetor. 

Your Falcon is a great little car with heaps of family history and significance.

If you haven't taken care of the gas thank I also vote for just replacing the entire tank with a new one.

While you've got the tank down replace all rubber lines running to the tank.

Everything in the fuel system should be updated to new parts that can hold up to the ethanol in today's gas, even if the parts still look good, replace them anyway.

Keep plugging along on your car and you'll get it all done.

Good luck with your continued project.

When you get ready to start it ....

Rig up a temporary gas feed & bypass the existing fuel system.

If it runs with no major issues:

Replace the gas tank and the fuel pump along with any rubber or plastic fuel lines and the filter.

Jim

Great news that the car was garaged the entire time of your parents' ownership of it, which of course, helped preserve it.

For all the times you will be driving that car, lap belts fitted in the original anchors should be sufficient.  Attempting to retrofit three-point seat belts properly in an older car can be a nightmare, especially a hardtop body style.

Craig