Fluid drive transmission for 1950 Desoto

Indian 101

2 hours ago, Indian 101 said:

The function is perfect, but unfortunately there is a mechanical noise especially in Power range (1. and 2. gir), but I can occasionally hear it also in reverse, neutral and driving range (3. and 4. gir). The sound disappears when I depresses the clutch.

Are you 100% sure the noise is coming from the transmission itself?

It sounds like it could be the clutch throw-out bearing which is an easy, less expensive fix.

Well, I'm not 100% sure... I thought it should be in the transmission itself since the noise disappeared when i depresses the clutch. When I listen under the car the noise seems to come from the transmission, but it maybe transmitt from the clutch? Are there any way to check if it can be the clutch throw-out bearing?

If the noise is there while the car is running in neutral with the clutch out and then disappears when you push the clutch in I would suspect the throw-out bearing because the transmission is not "engaged" when in neutral.

What type of mechanical noise is it making? Could you describe it if possible?

Where does the noise seem to be coming from? Front, middle or back of the transmission?

You would have to remove the transmission to be able to check/replace the throw-out bearing if you think that is the problem. Then you can remove the bearing and spin it while holding it in your hand. It should spin freely - with some drag - but without noise. If you hear any type of a scraping sound then the bearing is shot.

It is not a very difficult repair - and not very expensive - and even if you find that the transmission is bad I would replace the throw-out bearing anyway while you have the transmission out for repair/replacement.

Here are pictures of two "late" serial # 1950 desoto S14 and a late C48 1950 Chrysler M-6 transmission.

The late serial 1950 DeSoto and Chrysler cars switched to an internal two shoe  E-brake on the transmission.... shoes are inside the drum.

Early 1950 cars have the external E-brake band on the transmission brake drum. Each type requires a different E-brake cable.

Generally to tell an early serial# car from a late car look at the fan belt...early cars use a 3/4" wide fan belt.....external E-brake band and drum

Late cars use a 1/2" fan belt..........Internal two shoe type e-brake...

Then the drum also has attached the U-joint companion flange.... DeSoto and Chrysler use different type U-joints!

Cheaper and easier to fix your trans or what ever your problem is than just hunt parts till you know for sure what the trouble  issue is.

M-6 Holloway S14 and c48  transmissions (11).JPG

M-6 Holloway S14 and c48  transmissions (6).JPG

M-6 Holloway S14 and c48  transmissions (9).JPG

M-6 Holloway S14 and c48  transmissions (10).JPG

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

My father has a transmission he took out of his 1950 Desoto Custom Coupe when it was headed to become a resto rod project.  It was good at that time and has been stored in a very dry garage since but it's been out of the car for quite some time now.  I'm sure he would part with it quite reasonably if you do end up needing one.