1931-2 Chrysler Gazelle Cap Info Sought

hddennis

Just picked this up and the more I look online the more confused I get. Can anyone tell me exactly what it does and does not fit? Also what is the difference between mine which is marked DPCD 314761A  and the same cap that has none of those markings but appears the same but is marked Jarvis?

Howard Dennis

Chrysler Gazelle 2.jpg

Chrysler Gazelle 4.jpg

Chrysler Gazelle 6.jpg

5 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Looks to be for a 1931 and maybe 1932 six cylinder Chrysler. The 8 cylinder car caps have a space just behind the front legs.

Picture 9575.jpg

Thanks John, I know you told me this but others were listed with many confusing models letters and I still don't understand is the Jarvis also a factory cap or aftermarket? So if this is 6 cylinder only is the 8 cylinder a bigger cap or just a different style?

Howard Dennis

These Winged/Gazelle caps started in late 1930 I believe as an accessory for 1931 Model Chryslers. The factory rad cap was a Winged base without Gazelle, this photo shows the larger 5.5" one for a CD8 model sitting on a CM6 rad shell, note it does not fit neck hole. 2 different size caps were made, one to suit the Chrysler 6cyl CM series and one to suit the 8cyl Chrysler CD8 series as well as the Chrysler Imperial CH models. As I understand it, the Gazelle was the identical size/interchangeable for both 6's and 8's, and the early Gazelles all had solid area between front legs as per the original photo. However, the base it screws to was made in 2 different sizes. The CM6 base was about 4.5" long and fitted into a 2&5/8" diameter rad shell neck hole, and the CD8/CH series base was 5.5" long and fitted into a 2&7/8" diameter neck hole. Regarding the additional length, a CD8 rad shell is about 1.25" deeper at it's top than a CM6 rad shell, thus the need for added length for the CD8 base. Radiator was also larger, thus the larger neck. At some point later, (perhaps mid 1932/33, the Gazelles  appeared with an open area between front legs.  The cap you show appears to be the larger CD8/CH cap. As far as I know, all "horns" were spiral initially, many have since been rechromed and have lost that detail.

I have both rad shells here, and although they look identical at a glance, they are virtually different in every detail, different depth, different bead width, different neck size and location, different mounting brackets, different location for headlight bar hole, different grill (CD8's adjust with thermostat control, CM6's are fixed), etc. TMI, I sure wish I had known this before I bought by mistake a CM6 rad shell that has been advertised as CD8!  

The second photo show images from the original CD8 sales brochure, note winged cap, rad shell painted body color except for the chrome beading. I am rebuilding a CD8 roadster and plan to follow this original design. Although the Chrysler design team thought the painted shell gave the cars a longer sleeker look, the customers expressed a desire for a chromed shell and later models had chrome shells.

IMG_4466.JPG

CD8WingedRadOrnament.jpeg

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

These Winged/Gazelle caps started in late 1930 I believe as an accessory for 1931 Model Chryslers. The factory rad cap was a Winged base without Gazelle, this photo shows the larger 5.5" one for a CD8 model sitting on a CM6 rad shell, note it does not fit neck hole. 2 different size caps were made, one to suit the Chrysler 6cyl CM series and one to suit the 8cyl Chrysler CD8 series as well as the Chrysler Imperial CH models. As I understand it, the Gazelle was the identical size/interchangeable for both 6's and 8's, and the early Gazelles all had solid area between front legs as per the original photo. However, the base it screws to was made in 2 different sizes. The CM6 base was about 4.5" long and fitted into a 2&5/8" diameter rad shell neck hole, and the CD8/CH series base was 5.5" long and fitted into a 2&7/8" diameter neck hole. Regarding the additional length, a CD8 rad shell is about 1.25" deeper at it's top than a CM6 rad shell, thus the need for added length for the CD8 base. Radiator was also larger, thus the larger neck. At some point later, (perhaps mid 1932/33, the Gazelles  appeared with an open area between front legs.  The cap you show appears to be the larger CD8/CH cap. As far as I know, all "horns" were spiral initially, many have since been rechromed and have lost that detail.

I have both rad shells here, and although they look identical at a glance, they are virtually different in every detail, different depth, different bead width, different neck size and location, different mounting brackets, different location for headlight bar hole, different grill (CD8's adjust with thermostat control, CM6's are fixed), etc. TMI, I sure wish I had known this before I bought by mistake a CM6 rad shell that has been advertised as CD8!  

The second photo show images from the original CD8 sales brochure, note winged cap, rad shell painted body color except for the chrome beading. I am rebuilding a CD8 roadster and plan to follow this original design. Although the Chrysler design team thought the painted shell gave the cars a longer sleeker look, the customers expressed a desire for a chromed shell and later models had chrome shells.

IMG_4466.JPG

CD8WingedRadOrnament.jpeg

Gunsmoke, Thanks a million for taking the time to post this. Sometimes I hesitate to post because I think it's a stupid question or it's already been discussed before. When an answer such as you posted appears it makes it all worthwhile. Thanks, this clears up all the speculation. Since there are examples marked Jarvis and ones like mine with the DPCD 314761A does this number show up in a Chrysler parts book?

Howard Dennis

Chrysler Master Parts List (pre 1934) lists 5 rad filler Cap #'s for these cars. For CM6 they list #322654 as standard for all (wings only?), and 323076 (with gazelle ornament?) as non standard for CM and it appears as standard for all CI models.

For CD's, initial standard cap for first 9000 cars (out of about 24,000) is 320865 (likely wings only). Later CD8's, CD* Deluxe, CG and CP used (with gazelle ornament) # 316696. This was available as an option on CO and CT. Finally #391151 (includes gazelle ornament) was standard equipment on CH, CP and CQ (1932 thru 1934). I'm guessing it is this last part number (or an even later casting) that had the open area between front legs. Book does not list your piece's number 314761, but that just means your's is likely either an earlier or later casting, and as such your number may appear in a parts book of say pre 1940, or pre1932. Anyway, you have a nice cap, if you are open to an offer send me a pm.   

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Rustjunkyz32 said:

I just picked up this body and have no ideas were to begin finding parts I live in Oregon 

Welcome to the forum. That will be a great car when you get it together. What a huge job though. I hope you have experience of resurrecting a pile of bits.

You should start your own topic, which so far has little to do the with radiator emblem. We would be very happy to follow along this job and offer advice as we can.

As for parts, there are many places to look depending on what you are after. Best idea is to start your topic and ask about something in particular. One question per post gets the best response.