windshield wiper

kclark

It will be a vacuum wiper motor.  Any lubricant in it will be hard.  It may be possible to correct it by injecting glycerine into the vacuum motor.  I don't know about the US, but here (British Columbia) a small hypodermic needle can be obtained simply by asking for it at a drug store and glycerine is on the shelf.  Remove the motor, push it to one end of its stroke (leave the wiper arm on it) and inject about one cc of glycerine into it. Move the motor back and forth through its full stroke a few times, then with the motor at the other end of its stroke inject more glycerine, then move it back and forth again. Leave it for at least 24 hours.  Any rubber hoses in the vacuum line to the motor should be replaced.  They are close to 90 years old!  Make sure the metal lines are free of dirt, etc.

This topic has a paper on servicing vacuum wiper motors.

If it were mine, I would follow the vacuum lines and make sure they are clear, not squashed or whatever and the rubber hoses are in good condition and fit for purpose (don't collapse under vacuum). If that is all OK, I would be removing the wiper motor. I am the kind of nut that takes things to pieces so I would have a look before sending it away.

If you search this forum for "trico" you will find a lot of discussions on wiper motors. Lubrication is recommended to be vacuum motor oil or silicon oil. In the past I have seen recommendations for brake fluid. I recall also discussions on these fora of wiper motors warping with time as the die cast metal degrades (the zinc oxidises) and it being "impossible" to straighten them will enough for the paddle to seal all through its travel. Die cast can be straightened, gradually, with heat (boiling water), but I have not tried it on a wiper motor.

I appears after doing some more looking that the lines are good. I believe it needs rebuilding but not sure if it is operating correctly or not, let me explain. With the motor in my hand and connected to the vacuum, the motor will rotate upon pulling the lever. It will rotate one direction only. If I push the lever back in, it will rotate the other direction, rinse then repeat. So I'm not sure if it only operated this way or if it actually did go back and forth without driver intervention.

Part of the motor is a directional valve that redirects the vacuum from one side of the motor to the other. Over time the gaskets, seals, and valves deteriorate and/or harden. Use has little to do with it. Also some castings warp with age and render the motor scrap.

Give Mr. Ficken a call, he will talk to you about the best way to proceed.

His normal rate used to be a bit over $100 for a total rebuild assuming the casting was useable.................Bob