Old topic on 1990 Select Sixty cars

Barney Eaton

Today I stumbled on an ad for a 1990 Select Sixty in Punta Gorta FL.  They say it is the car GM had in the collection but do not list the vin number.

From my research it should be 904434.

The thing I want to point out is the hood emblem. There are people that believe the 1990 Select Sixty convertibles should have the special hood emblem.

A few have surfaced with the special hood emblem but we believe the dealer installed the emblem because he was a 1987 Select Sixty dealer (and got a 1988 Reatta) and had the emblem

in his desk drawer when the 1990 car arrived.

My logic is that IF the 1990 convertibles came with the special emblem, the car that GM had would surely have it and this car does not have a special emblem.

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/1245153

904434 2.jpg

Some of the cars GM sold out of the collection were sold without a title, only a bill of sale. Most of those cars were modified or not production and I'm sure GM law department determined they should not be on the road.

Back to the "how can you tell from the photo" question.

A production hood emblem has a heavy black outer ring bordered by a small chrome band.

The Select Sixty, has a smaller center, then the black ring and a wide chrome outer band.

Steveskyhawk posted a photo several years back of the three different hood emblems shown together, I don't have that picture

IMG_0961.JPG

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Notice they do not mention anything about the VIN or title status. With the Vin you can find out nearly everything about a car in Florida (history, options, title status) so I do not trust any ad that does not include it.

BTW the '88 hood emblem was smaller than later years.

Looking on Gurus (like autotrader) I find Vin 1G4EC33C3LB904434 which has no Florida title on file and was last registered in 2009.

BTW anything can be titled/resold somewhere, just is not easy in Florida. Still somehow it was registered (had a license plate) a decade ago.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Personally could care less about BJ, adds nothing to the provenance, just verifies that the car was sold in 2009 and was registered (but not titled) in Florida through 5/8/2009. Suspect more would need to come from Michigan but a quick look did not find a VIN verification web site like Florida has, is there one ?

I have to side with Barney on this one here is my take on this.

1 the hood emblem on a stock 88 were small and the SS60 supplied badge for the 88 were slightly larger than the stock 88

2 the hood emblem that was stock on a 90 were the largest of the 3 badges so if the SS60 badge was to be put on a 1990  the dealer/owner would have to sand or paint the hood due to the fact that the SS badge is smaller than the badge put on the cars in 1990. I have a SS badge on my SS60 but I put it on when I painted the hood after cleaning up rock chips. I doubt that the dealers were going to paint because the SS badge was sent to them.. I feel sure that the SS badges were intended for use in the 88 model year. This is only logic not myth

• Like 1

Guest Select60

Beautiful, a perfect Reatta Select 60 with very limited mileage. A joy to see all of the pictures of this pristine automobile, just as fresh as it was from the Reatta Crafte Center....and did anyone notice it sports a black oil dip stick. I really do believe I have seen more low mileage & higher mileage Reatta's with black oil dip sticks then ascribed color of grey for the oil dip stick, as prescribed by the  Buick Nationals judging rules.

Edited by Select60 (see edit history)

48 minutes ago, Select60 said:

Beautiful, a perfect Reatta Select 60 with very limited mileage. A joy to see all of the pictures of this pristine automobile, just as fresh as it was from the Reatta Crafte Center....and did anyone notice it sports a black oil dip stick. I really do believe I have seen more low mileage & higher mileage Reatta's with black oil dip sticks then ascribed color of grey for the oil dip stick, as prescribed by the  Buick Nationals judging rules.

I think it's fair to say "either is correct" for both emblems and dip sticks. 

I have 15 1990 Reattas here right now. It's split about 50/50 some have black some have grey. My 1990 select 60 had grey. While my Maui Blue convertible has black. 

On the subject of emblems... Is it correct for an 88 select 60 to have the emblem?? They didn't leave the factory with it either apparently. I looked at a low milage  88 Select 60 a couple months back with no emblem 

The 1990 select 60s are, well, Select 60 Reattas. I see no reason why anyone should have points deducted for having a select 60 hood emblem on their 1990 select 60. 

And for the record, installing the smaller select 60 emblem on a 1990 doesn't mean you have to repaint the hood. The adhesive disk below the emblem is smaller than the select 60 emblem. So you can put the smaller emblem on without anything else showing.

Edited by NCReatta (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Marck I want to be able to agree with you about the sticky on the back of the 90 larger disc but I had to use heat to get my larger disk off and I had a color issue due to the heat. I was going to paint anyway so it didn't matter. I tried to pry the larger one off with a nylon scrapper and it was not going to be a good ending. Just my 2 cents again.

Chuck