Cables for antique Graham Paige?

GrahamPaige29

Hi guys. I need a new spark plug cable set for my '29 Graham Paige. Two (maybe stupid) questions. It's a straight 6 by the way.  Where can I buy more period looking cloth cables and am I looking for any particular specs for a car that old?  I've heard modern cables aren't right. Thanks. 

For all my 20's and early 30's restoration's wiring needs, Rhode Island Wiring Service. http://www.riwire.com/

They carry the braided, lacquered spark plug wire in black and various color codes depending on what the original was.

They even have new wiring harnesses for the 29, GP model 612 and 621.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

Thanks Paul.  I guess I'm showing my lack of knowledge but is my 6 volt system all right with using modern cables?  I'm really confused about the difference between high and low tension systems.  I went to get a set of universal cables from my parts store and they weren't sure they were right for my '29.

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:49 AM, GrahamPaige29 said:

Thanks Paul.  I guess I'm showing my lack of knowledge but is my 6 volt system all right with using modern cables?  I'm really confused about the difference between high and low tension systems.  I went to get a set of universal cables from my parts store and they weren't sure they were right for my '29.

"Tension" is an old term for "voltage".  The "Low tension" system is the 6 volt wires to the ignition switch, the coil, and to the  side terminal of the distributor head for the points and condenser. The "High tension" system is the high voltage wires from the coil to the middle of the distributor cap, and from the cap to the spark plugs.

Don't use modern spark suppressive wires with a 6 volt system. In a short time the carbon impregnated fiberglass core gets burned out causing even higher resistance until no spark voltage gets through.

Use "solid core" spark plug wire like Rhode Island supplies.  It's made with modern insulation over stranded copper wire, then cloth braided and clear lacquered to look just like what would have been on your car originally.  And RI Wire has the correct type terminal ends.  Solder them onto the spark wire if possible.

One other thing many misunderstand is that for a 6 volt system you should use size "0"  battery cables, because 6 volt starters need more amperage to do the same work (watts) as a 12 volt system with it higher voltage - lower amperage equaling the same wattage.

Paul