1939 Special running board installation

39BuickEight

Hi folks!  We are at the stage in the restoration where we are test fitting the running boards.  I have found all sorts of threads regarding the moldings and mats, but none about the installation of the boards themselves.  My original car (the one we are restoring) had such rusty boards that they fell/had to be cut off, and the hardware was seemingly not original and simply indiscernible.  My parts car came without running boards-just the brackets for them-the owner sold them off of it prior to me purchasing it.  I am hoping someone can tell me how they attach.  I have checked the body manual and can't find anything there.  

Were there any mounting pads between the boards and the brackets?  I think there were some between the brackets and the frame, or am I wrong there?  

Is it just some bolts in the slots under the boards and washers/nuts on the bottom?

What's the deal with the wood?  There was some wood from what I can tell.  Was that just to isolate/insulate a possible radio antenna?

Thanks for any help!

Billy,

Can't say if my '39 mounting hardware is original, but there are not any rubber pads under them.  Here are a couple of photos of the underside and one from the top that I just took.  I had the boards off several months ago to clean them up and mount new stainless trim.  No wood under mine, but prior owner installed radio with antenna on the fender - said there was no radio in the car from new.   

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

Edited by jvelde
Add a couple of photos...! (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Billy: As you probably know, another of the unique features of the 1939 was the radio antenna which was also the running boards. This required that the running board support brackets and in turn the running boards were insulated from the rest of the car. There is an heavy black insulator, material not known to me, between the support bracket and the frame. Another circular insulator paired with a really heavy washer insulated the attachment bolts. I have attached some photos in an effort to show this assembly. The black paper looking "washer" was, in my judgement, used during the car's assembly to hold the insulators and fasteners together temporarily.

The radio signal was transferred from the right running board across the frame to the left running board via a wire. Another wire from the front of the left running board sent the signal to the radio. Another picture shows the wire and hook up quite well.  Also in the picture is a rubber boot, which I assume was original, that slipped over the frame ends of the running board mounting brackets. I have not seen these boots for sale anywhere.

The running boards were fastened to the brackets with carriage bolts. I don't believe there is anything between the boards and the brackets. Enjoy, Bob H

013 (Medium).JPG

014 (Medium).JPG

017 (Medium).JPG

018 (Medium).JPG

005 (Medium).JPG

When I visited a year ago we discussed the running boards.

I have since taken some photos of an original running boards (Owen C)  with the thicker molded rubber on the edges. that from memory is missing on yours

Will find those photos and email

I have taken running boards off 2 of my '39's.  Neither had the insulation or a radio fitted. These cars were not assembled in USA so may be different. And I doubt I am the first person to have taken these off the cars.

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Thanks everyone, so still no thoughts on wood?  I wonder if someone stuck some wood in there just to reinforce a rusty/worn out/iffy carriage bolt hole?  It was a small block near the mounting holes on the bottom.

So, there wasn't an antenna in the running boards, the running boards themselves were the antenna?

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

Billy: The running boards are the radio antenna. I have not heard from any expert on how well they worked.

Allan: I have four US made 1939 specials and scrapped a fifth, they all had the insulated running board/ radio antennas.

Bob H

Correct.

The Running boards ARE the antennas.

There are insulating spacers,  cross-over wires,  static collectors that fit inside the front dust caps,  condenser mounted on the generator and coil, and a distributor suppressor.

This is from the 1937 Buick Centerline & Centerline Dual Radio Installation Instructions.  (Models 980534  &  980535)

Maybe some information will apply to the '39 as well.

Scan_20170801.thumb.jpg.05bf9d4db6dba7e99925e41091ee060c.jpg

5980f246d5844_Scan_20170801(2).thumb.jpg.39e00992b7fb7f27e7f82feec78d3fef.jpg

5980f24b2eb8e_Scan_20170801(3).thumb.jpg.022ba2b7cec69b4348e833ae3d278788.jpg

My 38 did not come with a radio. I added one. The running boards are the antenna. The running boards are insulated from the rest with insulators available from BOBS. I luckily found a NOS radio harness for the antenna that connected the radio with the left running board and the over to the right running board. I also have the static eliminators that go inside the dust caps but even without them or a condenser on the generator I get no static. The radio works pretty good as is. We live in a big city near several strong AM radio stations. I had to have my radio restored, it was expensive. I had an extra one also restored.