Memes for Newsletter Use

If this isn't an appropriate discussion please delete. I have been collecting old car photos for years on the internet with no particular plan for them accept I like them and use them as screensavers. Now I'm one of the masses of newsletter editors trying to fill space and have started sorting interesting photos to use. I have found many beg for a caption or a full fledged meme as the current trend seems to be.

I'm proposing we share interesting photos, with no obvious copyright and either include a caption/meme phrase or ask for one. If none of the powers that be see a problem we could all use them freely to fill empty space.

To start off here is one that I already made and used a few months ago. We have several Dave's in the region that would fit this description. I can post the original if someone would like to use a different name.

KidRepairing.jpg

• Like 2

Jim,

While it sounds nice, without knowing specifically where an image comes from, and knowing that you have permission from the copyright owner to use the image, or knowing that the image is in the public domain, you would risk civil penalties as well as newsletter disqualification if participating in the NAAP if using an image. 

If you have an image that you can identify as being in the public domain or can attribute it to the source and the source has given permission for its use by newsletter editors, it would be fine. I am not an expert on copyright laws or issue but I do know that at least one AACA Region that has had to pay a significant penalty for a copyright violation. Copyright is a serious issue for any publishing endeavor, and AACA Newsletters are not an exception to that rule 

I understand the concern, that is why I phrased my post as I did. Feel free to delete if you see it as a dangerous path. All the photos I have were posted on eBay for sale or on assorted forums. Other than my own screensaver use, I would never use any photo that has any watermark or obvious ties to a copyright. Most of the photos are 50+ years old and older.

The problem is that the lack of a watermark does not indicate it is safe or free for use. I am inclined to leave this post up, at least for a while, for informational purposes. If you have a photo or illustration that you have permission to share for such use, you could post it or them. 50 years is not any sort of safe time frame for copyright purposes. Many images over 50 years old are still covered by copyrights. You could easily get into trouble if you are simply assuming that something 50 years old is safe to use in a newsletter.   

• 4 weeks later...

The fair use exception typically would not cover the type of use generally found in an AACA newsletter. A copyright violation has cost at least one AACA Region money in the past. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...