learning about my 1917 D45

Bob Engle

Every day I spend some time going over my new acquisition.  It is an unrestored car; however there are many signs of work having been done on the car.  You can imagine how many mechanics had their hands on some part  through the years.  We all know, many shortcuts and changes were made to improve?? or make repairs easier. 

My goal is to keep the car in as close to original correctness but also leave it in its current condition except for areas  that affect driveability.  

Some current questions are:  I have some brass grease cups and  some nickle plated cups.  What is correct for the car?

The lower hood lace was replaced with some white leather material and was attached with pop rivets.  What is the correct material and type of rivet to attach the material?

There is a lamp attached to the  driver window stanchion, but the wiring is cut off at the lamp.  What was the correct routing of the wiring?  and where was it's connection?

The current tires are Firestone 34 X 4.  The only replacement tires I see listed are 34 X 4 1/2.  Will they fit properly on the rims properly?  Will the current tube fit the 4 1/2 width?

I replaced the broken front spring leaf.  I had Stanley Springs in Harrisburg PA make the new leaf.  It assembled easily and the cost for the leaf was $100.  I would recommend them to anyone that needs springs and live near  Harrisburg, PA  I have found that when you can deliver parts to vendors directly, the results are many times better than when parts are shipped.

I'm still working on ring and pinion repairs.  I hope to get the car on the road mid August and shake it down before Hershey in the fall.

Bob Engle

• Like 2

Bob, if the tires on the car now are 34 X 4, then you have 26 inch wheels.  The D-45 for 1916 and 1917 came from the factory with 24 inch wheels standard.  The tread width was 56 inches as standard.  There were two options that could be had on these cars and had to be ordered special.  One was to get 26 inch wheels and the other was to get 60 inch tread spacing.  This is right out of my illustrated parts catalog.  A tire size of 34 X 4 1/2 equates to a 25 inch rim.  I think that if I were you, I would be checking the tread width on this car and see what that measures.  You might have an oddity on your hands.  I have looked at a lot of D-45's in the course of over 50 years, but, I have never seen one with the 26 inch wheels let alone the wider tread.  The grease cup caps are nickel plated on my car and I know it hasn't been messed with in that regard.  The lamp on the driver side windshield post is a SPOTLIGHT.  A very common accessory back in the day.  I have heard the old timers say that it was common to wire the light into the light switch so that the spotlight would be functioning with the headlights on.  I have also heard that the wider tread and bigger wheels were aimed at the farmers in rural areas to accommodate  horse-drawn wagon roads. You might want to post some photos in regard to the hood lace issue.  One more thing about the spotlight - some of them did have an ON / OFF switch in the housing.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas 

Terry:  Thanks for the response.

The inside of the mounted tires is 25 ".  The inside diameter of an unmounted tire is 26".  The centerline (center of tire tread)  on the front wheels is 56".  Adding 4 " for the tire would give me 60" of tread width.  I'll take photos tomorrow an post  them.  

This is part of the fun of discovery about these cars.  I didn't get a show car, but I hope I got a fun driver with stories to tell.

Bob

Here's confirmation of the 25" inside rim dimendion .

The photos on the front end are taken close to center  and indicates 61" outer edge track.  With the positive camber it is probably 60" at the road.

Does this mean optional larger dia. wheels and wider track than standard?

Bob Engle

DSCN3345_1024x768.JPG

DSCN3347_1024x768.JPG

DSCN3350_1024x768.JPG

DSCN3352_1024x768.JPG

DSCN3351_1024x768.JPG

• Like 1

On the optional spot light, from the photos you can see that by turning the handle on the back it make s contact with the two terminals on the back of the bulb. I think I will wire it direct to   one of the light switches on the  dash switch panel.  I don't know how I will route the wires into the under dash area.

The lower edge hood welt is pop riveted  with the white material.   I think some type of tubular or split rivet in brass or nickel with a brown or black welting would have be correct??

Bob Engle

DSCN3358_1024x768.JPG

DSCN3359_1024x768.JPG

DSCN3343_1024x768.JPG

Bob, in looking at your photos, it appears that the tread width would be the 56 inch axles.  The best way to verify that would be to have someone help you measure from the center of the tire to the center of the other tire on the rear axle.  Again, looking at your photos, it looks like you have 26 inch wheels on this car.  To determine rim size for a 34 X 4 tire, a person doubles the 4 and subtracts the 8 from the 34 giving them 26 inches.  This appears to be the very first D-45 that I know of with the 26 inch wheel option.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Bob, the hood lacing on the hood shelves was originally held in place with split rivets.  The original lacing would more than likely be black.  Could you post a photo of the back side of the spot light housing?  We'd all be interested in seeing what you are describing in the way of the handle.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

My car came with an aftermarket spot light but it had no guts.  The previous owner liked the non working spot since it had a wide angle mirror mounted on the back of it (and I do too). 

I found a 6V GE sealed beam lantern bulb used widely in the 50s and 60s and still available.  Mounted it within the housing (it fit perfect) and behind the lens and it has worked great and bright as heck.

I wired it to the pull switch that turns on the front courtesy light.  Seeing the courtesy light on reminds me I have left the spot light on. 

If you blow up the third pick you can see the sealed beam within the spot housing.

lantern.png

lantern bulb.png

20170714_151339_thumb_jpg_661d8cd9b5e569edd6108437cb0913c8.jpg

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You can see the two contact points on the bottom of the bulb.  there was a rear view mirror  mounted on the side of the lamp housing.  It was added quite a bit later as it was attached with a phillips head screw.  I will change the screw to a period correct on on reassembly.  

I won't be able to take measurements on the rear track as the differential in in pieces right now waiting for parts to return from the machine shop.  I will be curious to see what it measures.

I was surprised to hear that the 34 x 4 tires are unusual for  1917 D45's.  The Standard Catalog of American Cars list the 1917 D45's with that tire size.

Bob Engle

DSCN3361_1024x768.JPG

• 8 months later...

I am late to the party hopefully someone will notice.  I was looking for tires for my 17 D45 as well and the ones on it are also 34 x 4.  I believe mine were replaced in the 70s when it was redone.  What was the final decision on this topic? 

Also I noticed that one of the photos shows a red D45.  mine was painted red and I thought it was not the original color.  the paint is now flaking and there is red under neath.  THe frame is painted yellow and the wheels are yellow which is not my favorite but I want it to be period correct.  The P.O. had all of the nickel brass plated too.  

Thoughts are appreciated.

Kathy