Wheel Hub Puller

I am looking for a wheel hub puller for a 1925 Buick Master. Thread looks to be 3-3/8" with 16 threads per inch. Anyone out there have one they want to rent, sell or loan me? I know I can order one from George, just looking for a more economical option for a onetime use.

Thanks very much

Tom Dierks

This looks like the puller you need.  1929 Buick 116 47-58 8-60 8-90 8-80, 1930 Buick 40 Vintage NOS Hub Wheel Puller  eBay item number: 172682754386

Or you could look for one of this type to match your axle threads.  It might be easier to find.

$_57.jpg

$_57.jpg

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

The eBay one looks to be more like a 3-1/4 thread. My major diameter is close to 3.425 (diameter of hub thread) and the minor diameter is 3.377 (ID of hub cap ). So maybe not a 3-3/8 but more like a 3-7/16. Thanks for the eBay lead maybe someone else can use this one.

Tom

• 1 month later...

On the large series cars, the hub unbolts from the wheel and the axle pulls out with the hub attached.  

On the small series cars the axle passes through the hub which is permanent on the wheel.   To remove the wheel from the axle without a wheel puller, jack up the opposite wheel from the one you want to remove.   Loosen the nut on the wheel you want to remove to the end of the axle.   Place a piece of 2 x 4 against the nut and hit it with a heavy hammer.  

The wheel should become loose.       Please do not try  the barbaric method of loosening the nut and driving the car until the wheel comes loos.   That looks like an invitation for disaster, or at least a broken axle key.

Fred

Fred

• Like 2

On 6/7/2017 at 0:35 PM, 48762 said:

I am looking for a wheel hub puller for a 1925 Buick Master. Thread looks to be 3-3/8" with 16 threads per inch. Anyone out there have one they want to rent, sell or loan me? I know I can order one from George, just looking for a more economical option for a onetime use.

Thanks very much

Tom Dierks

Tom, why do you need to pull the shaft from the hub?

There is no need to separate the shaft taper from the hub and it should be avoided in my opinion, especially on the Master Six cars that have the superior design setup. 

As Fred has previously stated above, remove the large acorn nuts and the hub and shaft are removed.  The hub can be detailed and painted for restoration.

Under the hub is another nut that can be removed, and the wheel spokes and bearing comes off the axle housing.

My Master and 6 cylinder cars have original fit hub and shaft tapers still intact with no issues.

My Standard Buick has suffered from loose wheels because of breaking the taper over the years and not keeping a tight enough fit.  The taper is the driver...not the key!

020416 buick rear wheel removal (01).jpg

020416 buick rear wheel removal (04).jpg

020416 MASTER AND STANDARD AXLE DIFFERENCES (1).JPG

020416 MASTER AND STANDARD AXLE DIFFERENCES (2).JPG

020416 MASTER AND STANDARD AXLE DIFFERENCES (3).JPG

020416 MASTER AND STANDARD AXLE DIFFERENCES (4).JPG

020416 MASTER AND STANDARD AXLE DIFFERENCES (5).JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don,

I cant tell you how grateful I am for the info you provided.  Just 30 minutes ago I decided to see if what you were pointing out would actually work. Grabbed a 15/16 wrench and discovered that the nuts were barely snug. If these old fingers were any stronger could have taken them off without any wrench. So step one complete, and now the axle and hub are supposed to just slide right out (sure) so a grab a thin screw driver and a small hammer just in case and go after it. And yes the axle just glides right out , no resistance, no hammer just pull it out easy as can be. I find the big hub nut and the star washer, bend the tabs back and again with my fingers only unscrew the hub not. So now the wheel is supposed to come off (sure again)  I grab hold of both sides of the wheel and begin t rock it and pull and low and behold I have the wheel in my hands. This took all of maybe 15 minutes including running to the basement for the 15/16 wrench. Sorry to be the doubting Thomas but this was even easier than you had described it. Thanks so much for people like you on the forum.

Tom

• Like 3

22 hours ago, 48762 said:

Don,

I cant tell you how grateful I am for the info you provided.  Just 30 minutes ago I decided to see if what you were pointing out would actually work. Grabbed a 15/16 wrench and discovered that the nuts were barely snug. If these old fingers were any stronger could have taken them off without any wrench. So step one complete, and now the axle and hub are supposed to just slide right out (sure) so a grab a thin screw driver and a small hammer just in case and go after it. And yes the axle just glides right out , no resistance, no hammer just pull it out easy as can be. I find the big hub nut and the star washer, bend the tabs back and again with my fingers only unscrew the hub not. So now the wheel is supposed to come off (sure again)  I grab hold of both sides of the wheel and begin t rock it and pull and low and behold I have the wheel in my hands. This took all of maybe 15 minutes including running to the basement for the 15/16 wrench. Sorry to be the doubting Thomas but this was even easier than you had described it. Thanks so much for people like you on the forum.

Tom

Great!

I'm so glad it worked for you Tom! 

Glad I could help, 

Don