1933 Plymouth Amp gauge

Reg Evans

Well, shortly after I got this car I experienced a fireworks show behind the gauge glass and it appeared to be coming from the gas gauge. All gauges worked before this happened and now the amp and gas gauges do not and the battery will drain while the car is running.  The car has been totally rewired and I don't see any burned wires. The fuse just to the right of the amp gauge at the bottom of the photo is not burned out so I'm guessing the problem must be inside the gauge. 

ANYONE HAVE A PART NUMBER FOR THE GAUGE ?

1 33 plym gauges.jpg

Hi - Could you post a picture of the back of your gauge assembly so i could have a "clear shot" of the speedometer hookup.  I'm trying to figure out why mine doesn't work.  The odometer works, but the speedometer doesn't and I figure that I'm somehow not getting the speedometer cable connected correctly.  Thanks.

39 minutes ago, RevWags@aol.com said:

The part number number for the 33 PD ammeter assembly is 610395.  Good luck!

Wow !  thanks a lot !

37 minutes ago, RevWags@aol.com said:

Hi - Could you post a picture of the back of your gauge assembly so i could have a "clear shot" of the speedometer hookup.  I'm trying to figure out why mine doesn't work.  The odometer works, but the speedometer doesn't and I figure that I'm somehow not getting the speedometer cable connected correctly.  Thanks.

Here's a gauge cluster on eBay with lots of photos.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-plymouth-delxue-speedometer-instrument-cluster-scta-rat-rod-hot-ratrod-/262996983555?hash=item3d3bd77f03:g:s8EAAOSwa-dWkXOY&vxp=mtr

If the odometer works the cable is hooked up correctly.  Perhaps the speedo part just needs to be cleaned.  The cable spins a magnet, the magnet causes a cup to turn and the cup is connected to the needle.  Often someone has just over lubed the cable and the grease has worked up into the speedo head and gummed it up.  Real simple machine but difficult to calibrate without the proper instruments.  Some people have managed to clean the head themselves and not disturbed things but most end up having to be recalibrated at a speedo shop.

Sounds like gummed up to me.  Try lighter fluid then  lube with light machine oil........Far as the ampmeter try jumping the

two terminals > now does it charge?  If not If I remember these have two coils probably cooked cause something got over

loaded.  Again if I remember the Hot + goes to one side and the Out + goes to a fuse I think being on the headlight switch.

been a long time   sam

Edited by GK1918
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Reg, as GK suggests you could just jump across the gauge as a troubleshooting idea.

You could put another gauge in that jumper just for fun.

There are some techniques to eliminate the regulator if it was just a charging problem.

Just reread your posts, the battery is draining. In this case I would  (disconnect the battery) take at least one lead from your amp gauge then jump the wires (not the gauge) with another amp gauge in line, (hook up the battery and start the engine) if it reads backwards no worries, just reverse the leads. That is if it starts working.

Now you will know if its really a defective ammeter without having to buy another one.

I say this as I think most of us know where there may be an aftermarket ammeter laying around. You could do this without a gauge inline, but would have to check charging with a volt  (VOA) meter.

• Like 1