stromberg u3 carb kit

olympic

The Carburetor Shop sells kits.  I would also contact Randy Fusco to see what he has available.  The Club made new venturis and I believe they're still available.  If yours has the original I would consider replacing it - if it's not cracked and swelled now it will eventually.

Dan

Edited by Olympic33 (see edit history)

I just got my kit from Jon. The number is  CS 1302. sells for 125.00.plus shipping It will take a little while to get it. He makes all the gaskets when an order comes in. I had it professionally rebuilt by a carb shop. It came out beautiful. Have not installed it back on car yet. Waiting for some other parts to get done. His number is 573 392 7378 but only answers the phone monday and tuesday from 8 to  5. Good luck 

12 hours ago, 29 franklin said:

I just got my kit from Jon. The number is  CS 1302. sells for 125.00.plus shipping It will take a little while to get it. He makes all the gaskets when an order comes in. I had it professionally rebuilt by a carb shop. It came out beautiful. Have not installed it back on car yet. Waiting for some other parts to get done. His number is 573 392 7378 but only answers the phone monday and tuesday from 8 to  5. Good luck 

Glad the kit worked out for you.

The issue isn't that it takes so long to cut gaskets (and fuel valve) for one kit; it is the number of kits (no complaints by me ;) ). Seems like this year, more enthusiasts waited until spring to work on their carburetor. Or maybe it is just the ethanol fuel. But demand for our rebuilding kits is currently higher than at ANY time in our company history (since 1974). And I get slower every year!!! ;)

Jon.

• Like 1

Hack - thank you. After seeing your post, I am trying to find out more. Looks like the making company is headquartered in the UK. As of yet, have not found a dealer in the US that I can call with questions. The computer software is what bothers me. Plus, until I actually see results, I will remain unconvinced this inexpensive a tool (available at "W") will do a quality cut on the gasket material (Armstrong N-8090) that we use for carburetor kits.

About every 6 months, I look at gasket laser cutters. At present, one that I think would cut gaskets of the required thickness for carburetor kits is about $5,000. I don't object TOO badly to that; but the computer software is bulky. Have talked to several that have these units, and without exception, I get the same answers. You scan the gasket with a computer scanner, then run the scan through a graphics program to generate the necessary graphics file. Everyone tells me a simple gasket will take about 2 hours ONCE ONE IS PROFICIENT WITH THE SOFTWARE! A more complicated gasket can require 4 or more hours. Once you have the file, you can then cut an unlimited number (well, until the machine wears out ;) ) of gaskets.

The two hours is the problem. There are very few gaskets that take me 15 minutes to cut by hand (or 8 gaskets for the 2 hours (minimum) using the software). The kits which we product that sell 3 or 4 annually, I have already paid for steel-rule dies and have the gaskets punched. Its the kits we only sell one every 5 years or so that create the problem. So if we sell one kit in 5 years, then the payback time-wise per gasket is a 40 years supply. If the people selling these things can add 40 years to my work-life, shoot, just my life in general, I'll buy one!!! ;) 

In dealing with the old car hobby, and producing a comprehensive kit (we offer more than 10,000 different) we find that conventional marketing wisdom is tossed out the window. Since our contracts with some of the agricultural companies (we used to offer kits for potato diggers, pea pickers, etc.) are long since gone (fuel injected modern equipment), our top selling kit is maybe 25 annually. The good selling kits are 10 plus annually. Average kits are less than 5 annually. So the issue is the time with the computer software, not the cost of the machine.

I keep hoping the computer software will eventually be refined to just using a scanner, and the computer software able to take the scanner output (or even better, a digital representation of the original drawing), and convert this into what the laser requires. I am the caretaker for original carb drawings from Carter, Kingston, Stromberg, plus a bunch of others.

Jon.

• Like 1