Looking for production number

PWB

I just looked at Darwin's Options Not Included articles on the web site and there are no numbers for 1967.  Regal Black was ordered on about 10% of 63's, 8% of 64's, 5% of 65's, and only 3.5% of 66's, and 2.9% of 68's.  Looks like black was losing popularity on a regular basis.  If this held true then somewhere between 3 and 3.5% of 67's were painted black.  But that's pure conjecture based on previous and following years.  Hope this helps.  Don't ask how many came with ??? color interior.  Buick did not keep records for that. :D

16 hours ago, RivNut said:

I just looked at Darwin's Options Not Included articles on the web site and there are no numbers for 1967.  Regal Black was ordered on about 10% of 63's, 8% of 64's, 5% of 65's, and only 3.5% of 66's, and 2.9% of 68's.  Looks like black was losing popularity on a regular basis.  If this held true then somewhere between 3 and 3.5% of 67's were painted black.  But that's pure conjecture based on previous and following years.  Hope this helps.  Don't ask how many came with ??? color interior.  Buick did not keep records for that. :D

This is good data. Thanks.

I wonder if the Sloan would have anything...

Wife is a research librarian - got her on the case

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

Sloan has nothing in way of production data for the 67s or all second gens for that matter. Too bad all that data was apparently/supposedly destroyed by GM. I think I've personally (in person) seen 2 factory black 67s in all my years of going to national meets. I've seen a number of black cars but when I check the paint code they had been repainted to black from another color. So based on data Ed posted I'd agree it was around 3%.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

6 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Sloan has nothing in way of production data for the 67s or all second gens for that matter. Too bad all that data was apparently/supposedly destroyed by GM. I think I've personally (in person) seen 2 factory black 67s in all my years of going to national meets. I've seen a number of black cars but when I check the paint code they had been repainted to black from another color. So based on data Ed posted I'd agree it was around 3%.

Jason,

I dont think this is correct. Darwin`s articles in the series "Options Not Included" are drawn from the data in the "Daily Car Reports" which Buick composed. If one uses the last report of the year it provides a cumulative report of data for the model year.

I discovered these reports many years ago and have the Daily Car Report for the `66 model year. I dont know about the later years, or why there is no data for colors in `67, but if Darwin did articles for the second gen years I`m sure the info was culled from these reports.

The reports are copyrighted so a call to the sloan should net anyone interested a copy of the report for any particular year of interest.

Tom Mooney

Thanks for clarifying Tom. I had it stuck in my head when replying all the info the 70 and up (less 71) Skylark owners can get from Sloan specific to how a car was built and with what options as well as the dealer it shipped to all searchable by VIN on microfilm. I should have been more specific. 

Basically Riviera 1967 options data are the "lost years," correct? Data destroyed or lost.

It was probably about 1500 Regal Black in 1967. Unverifiable shot from the hip number. What ever the exact production, it is a rare breed for such a desired color in our time.