Johnny Cash's 1979 tour bus, and memories with a friend

MarrsCars

A dear friend of mine, Bob Wootton, passed away earlier this week at the age of 75. Bob was Johnny Cash's guitar player since the death of Luther Perkins back in 1968. He played on virtually every album, live show, and record for the next 35-years, from the San Quentin Live album onwards, and even wrote some music and lyrics, in addition to being the man behind the unique sound that we all associate with Johnny Cash. I wanted to share an article I wrote back in 2011 about putting John's 1979 MCI private tour bus, J.C. Unit One, back on the road. I have been thinking and reminiscing a lot about my old friend, his family, and our adventures together, and I'm hoping some of you will find some interest in the history of how this bus came to be, it's life on the road, and where it is today. Thanks Bob, you will be missed by those who knew and loved you, as well as those who cherished the sweet, sweet music you created.

JC Unit One: On the Road In Johnny Cash's Custom Tour Bus

(If the article's text appears small, press "control" and "+" keys to make text larger.

JCUnit1.jpg

Edited by MarrsCars (see edit history)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

I was a Johnny Cash fan until I paid to see him in Reno, Nv. 1968... Guess what.. he was a no show.. That ended it for me... anytime he comes on the radio/tv, I change the channel...

I had never heard of him missing a show before, but Luther Perkins died in August of that year, I wonder if this had anything to do with John missing the show? Regardless, that is what I call holding a grudge!

Nice article.

So, I get a call from my father one afternoon, asking me to meet him at a little diner in Blue Eye, MO the next morning for breakfast.  The place was a little hole in the wall.  So, I got off working the third shift the next morning and headed right over.  As I walked in the restaurant, my dad was waving me back to the table he was sitting at with another gentleman.  I walked over and sat down.  Lo and behold, there sat Mr. Cash right across from me.  Seems he had a house not far from there up on the hill above the river.

Was just a short commute to Branson,MO and was just a nice, quiet home.  Far enough away from everyone so he could have his quiet time.

For several years, we had breakfast probably six times and I never even asked for The Man in Blacks autograph.  He was somewhat a friend of my father and I treated him like a normal person, just as he treated us.

Matt

Edited by jackofalltrades70 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Wow, Matt, small world.  You did not say what time frame you made these meets, but we may have overlapped. My parents, then in their 70's, lived just south of  Blue Eye in the late 80's early 90's. I was a cross country household mover. I would visit when I could. Parked my tractor-trailer on the Blue Eye  square many times. I have a Schwinn bicycle yet I bought from a Blue Eye resident.

My first memories of Johnny Cash occurred in San Jose, CA in 1956. I heard "I walk the line the first" time. 

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Very interesting example of an MC-9.  Arguably, one of the first instances an MCI highway coach was purchased and converted into a motorhome/living quarters by a private individual, which is quite common today.   Presumably, Cash purchased it as a bare shell from MCI, which would have made this a forerunner to their 'Renaissance' series which is purpose-built for private conversion.   In 1990's, the Renaissance in its basic form was $650,000, and one could have spent thousands more on the custom interior fitments.  Since then, slideouts, different window configurations, etc., are now offered, which raises the base price considerably.  Besides, MCI, Prevost, Setra, and many other highway coach builders offer a private motorhome line in the model range.  Do you have a copy of the Production Order/Build Sheet for this particular coach?

Craig

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Do you have a copy of the Production Order/Build Sheet for this particular coach?

Craig

That's interesting to learn. I do not have any documentation, but I do know that the folks at Custom Coach in Ohio originally did the custom work, and when it went back for it's restoration in the mid-2000's it went to Creative Mobile Interiors in Grove City, Ohio because several of the original craftsmen who worked on Unit One at Custom Coach were now working at Creative Mobile Interiors. I spoke often with folks at the company during it's restoration as the bus's owner, Dave Wright, and I were coordinating it's completion for our upcoming Tennessee Three tour to support the release of the film Walk the Line. I'm certain if you reached out to them they could provide you with the details. Additionally, the builders of the bus, MCI in Canada, hosted the band in the mid-2000's for a corporate event where they went all out with a live performance and meet-and-greet with factory employees, but they also cleaned and detailed the bus while the band was performing and even replaced the headlight stolen by a fan while on the road. They should also have some records on how the bus was originally supplied. I know MCI has HQ in Illinois but there is some reason we went to the Canadian office, my memory eludes me as to why.

Here's an article I found on the Creative Mobile Interiors site detailing this period of time, it takes you to a PDF file: Collector Brings Cash's Bus to Grove City

One thing to note, when the article was published we didn't know where the bus would end up after the tour, a couple of places are mentioned in the piece but I also spoke with the Petersen Museum in LA but they were concerned about having enough space for such a large vehicle, thus, it ended up at the Rock and Roll Museum in Ohio. I believe it is seasonally displayed outdoors so check to be sure it's on display if you're making a special trip to view it.

@jackofalltrades70 Those are some wonderful memories I am sure.

2 hours ago, MarrsCars said:

That's interesting to learn. I do not have any documentation, but I do know that the folks at Custom Coach in Ohio originally did the custom work, and when it went back for it's restoration in the mid-2000's it went to Creative Mobile Interiors in Grove City, Ohio because several of the original craftsmen who worked on Unit One at Custom Coach were now working at Creative Mobile Interiors. Additionally, the builders of the bus, MCI in Canada, hosted the band in the mid-2000's for a corporate event where they went all out with a live performance and meet-and-greet with factory employees, but they also cleaned and detailed the bus while the band was performing and even replaced the headlight stolen by a fan while on the road. They should also have some records on how the bus was originally supplied. I know MCI has HQ in Illinois but there is some reason we went to the Canadian office, my memory eludes me as to why.

I see no problem why MCI in Winnipeg wouldn't be able to offer documentation if one supplies the serial number /VIN.   Most vehicle manufacturers offer this service, including Mercedes Benz, General Motors, Studebaker National Museum, Ferrari, et al.  I would love to see any notes or modifications on it, such as 'omit interior', and 'paint as per customer request', etc.

Craig