Front fenders and lamp from a...?

Guest Slimlavud

Guest Slimlavud

Dear All, I am a Lancia enthusiast and motoring writer from London, UK. Also an organiser of the 96 Club, an informal club for lovers of all early cars, right up to fine 1980s etc machines. Have a look at 96club.co.uk and come along to one of our central London rendezvous breakfasts if you are in London this summer - no membership required and I cook good bacon and sausage sandwiches there too...!

A friend of mine just found this front end in a yard in the US and sent me a photo to identify. I don't think it is Ford, Chevrolet or Dodge but perhaps Hudson or Essex?

I would be very grateful if you can identify the fenders etc?

Thank you and best wishes from a cold London Easter holiday Friday!

Slim

IMG_0664.JPG

Edited by Slimlavud (see edit history)

Guest Slimlavud
12 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

They look a lot like 1929 Hupmobile fenders to me. Just a guess without seeing the inner area near where the hood sill is. Although, the lamps on the Hupp are usually pretty large.

1929 Hupmobile.jpg

Thank you Keiser, you seem to be highly regarded for your acumen in these things and looking at pictures of 1929 Hupmobiles on the 'Net, I think you have it just right. The bolt-up ends of the crossbar and the vertical fitting of the lamps looks the same. As you say, Most Hupmobiles seem to have larger lamps - I imagine they were not cheap so perhaps they got replaced on this car, with something smaller and cheaper at some point. Best wishes, Slim

Guest Slimlavud
3 minutes ago, Slimlavud said:

Thank you Keiser, you seem to be highly regarded for your acumen in these things and looking at pictures of 1929 Hupmobiles on the 'Net, I think you have it just right. The bolt-up ends of the crossbar and the vertical fitting of the lamps looks the same. As you say, Most Hupmobiles seem to have larger lamps - I imagine they were not cheap so perhaps they got replaced on this car, with something smaller and cheaper at some point. Best wishes, Slim

I have just got some more pictures from my buddy in the US, he has found some more parts of the car in the same yard...

Is all this any use to anyone here? I think my buddy is not so interested in this era of car... Please let me know if it is of any interest to anyone?

IMG_0666[1].JPG

IMG_0667[1].JPG

IMG_0668[1].JPG

IMG_0673[1].JPG

1 minute ago, keiser31 said:

Now they all look like 1929-1930 Chevrolet parts, including the fenders and lamps.

I was staring at the gauges when you just posted.  Yes, the front apron sure looks like 29 and 30 Chevy. as well as the firewall recess for an OHV-6 like a Chevy.

I have a 30 in my barn, and a 29 out back, but geez, I can't recall which one looks closer on those gauges....but I think 29.  ...My 30; I think, has round gauges.

Maybe I will look tomorrow if nobody else IDs the gauge size/shapes

• 2 weeks later...

It is 1929. The back section is a convertible landau sedan. Not enough to put back together as the doors are specific to this model and regular sedan doors won't fit. Real hard to find the special brackets and fittings for the convertible top. Nice parts.