Military Vehicles ? "US" Bumper Medallions

30DodgePanel

Ric Dean did point out that the U appears to be different at the top. Thank you Ric for bringing that to my attention, I hadn't noticed before..

Another thing that appears different is the stamping seems more raised on the letters on the right medallion. The material mass and weight feel the same ...  Could it be a different mix of metal was used ? Initially I thought they may have weathered differently but since they came from the same bumper, in the same elements (desert southwest), I'm really starting to question that theory now...

Anyone have any thoughts on the metals used and why the stamping would appear to be different ?

I believe those 'medallions' are from aftermarket rear bumperettes marketed for mid-1920s cars equipped with rear-mounted spare tires.  In those days, the auto manufacturers often did not supply rear bumpers as standard or even optional equipment.  These were probably products of the U.S. Spring Company often seen on cars of this vintage.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Ric Dean did point out that the U appears to be different at the top. Thank you Ric for bringing that to my attention, I hadn't noticed before..

Another thing that appears different is the stamping seems more raised on the letters on the right medallion. The material mass and weight feel the same ... 

Could it be a different mix of metal was used ? Initially I thought they may have weathered differently but since they came from the same bumper, in the same elements (desert southwest), I'm really starting to question that theory now...

Anyone have any thoughts on the metals used and why the stamping would appear to be different ?

30DodgePanel.

… In the personal message I sent before I was making the point that there must have been a lot of them made for a Mold to have worn out, giving me the impression they would not be Military. Depending on the quality inexpensive Molds are not good for long casting runs, and with your Medallions being different from one another is an indicator of a long run. And Military is held to a higher spec.

Ric

It does appear that these are casting and therefore a mold was used not a stamping that used a die. For efficiency most molds for small parts have more than one cavity and they usually show slight differences especially very old ones that were hand made.

Update:

In the "Automotive Industries Statistical Issue dated Feb 1930" I have found something very interesting. Not sure if this could be a match but thought it important to post incase someone can verify with other documentation...

Here it shows the complete list of a total of 91 U.S. made truck manufacturers.

The trucks labeled "U.S." trucks are shown having several models produced ranging from 1 ton to 5 1/2 ton capacity.

Interesting to say the least...

Question is, are there any known survivors ?

US trucks 1.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)