1939 Business Coupe - Pre-Bent Brake Lines Same as Sedans?

JRHaelig

I know I'm way ahead of myself - since a prerequisite to stopping a car is actually having it moving - but I'm looking at pre-bent brake line kits.

They are sold by wheelbase and all indications are that body style doesn't matter, but better to ask than to make a mistake.

Are all of the 120 inch wheelbase line layouts the same?

I imagine some of you will say that flaring can be fun, and double flaring is double the fun - but so is bolting on a part that fits!

Thank you for confirming and for any supplier recommendations as well.

20161127_145103.jpg

Edited by JRHaelig (see edit history)

The whole system appears to be toast.  Scalloped rust on the existing lines, wheel cylinders and master are frozen beyond repair & the flex lines are filled with crystallized fluid.

It's not that big a job, but I was not happy with the job I did on my truck using sort of close lengths of EZ bend pre-flares.  Works great, but too many curls taking up excess length.

If you are going to really do the brake lines, this is the tool to have.    Can do single flares, double flares, and bubble flares.  If you shop around you should be able to find one for a couple hundred bucks or less.  I have one and it works great. 

http://www.tooltopia.com/mastercool-71475prc.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplpMAS71475PRC&sc_intid=MAS71475PRC&gclid=CN-Er9Sd0tICFQGHaQodEhIJzg

Mastercool (MAS71475PRC)

Universal Hydraulic Flaring Tool Set Plus Tube Cutter
MAS71475PRC.jpg
small_ul.gifsmall_ur.gif
List Price $642.49
Your Price $273.05
Item Number MAS71475PRC
Mfg Mastercool
Part No 71475PRC

* Whole number only
  free shipping
  In stock: Yes
small_ll.gifsmall_lr.gif

Features and Benefits:

Smooth hydraulic operation ensures no leakage and the ability to create flares directly on the vehicle.

• Creates production quality flares
  • Push connect, GM fuel lines, 45 double flare, Metric bubble
  • No leakage
  • Includes Free mini tube cutter
  • Includes:
    • Push-Connect Adapters: 1/4", 5/16", 3/8"
    • Push-Connect Die Sets: 1/4", 5/16", 3/8"
    • GM Fuel Line Adapters: 5/16", 3/8"
    • GM Fuel Line Die Sets: 5/16", 3/8"
    • 45" & Double Flaring Adapters: 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 1/2"
    • 45" & Double Flaring Die Sets: 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 1/2"
    • Metric Bubble Flaring Adapters: 4.75mm, 8mm, 10mm
    • Metric Bubble Flaring Die Sets: 4.75mm, 8mm, 10mm
    • Custom Molded Plastic Case
    • Tube Cutter

I wish I had seen a kit like that. I have managed with what I have for 55 years so probably won't change now but that kit sure is nice.  Larry you can surly make an old guys mouth water.

I'm at this very spot in my restoration.  I need to replace my brake lines.  One has a hairline split so I'm assuming there's another ready to break soon.  If anyone knows a manufacturer of pre-bent lines for 1937 Series 40, please let me know.  I checked Classic Tube but they don't have the Special, only Century.  Thank you!  Gary

I have that Mastercool kit also. Great tool. Sometimes a little handfull to hold all the pieces in place while twisting the mandrel into the die.

I use Cunifer for all my steel tubing needs. Living in the east, I am tired of replacing brake lines that I ALREADY replaced! Stainless steel flare nuts are also available (like form Summit racing), along with the stainless steel armor (brake line guard) that is common on GM line sets.

Cunifer is very easy to bend and flare.

Unless the pre-bent lines come on a large wood plank, you usually need to bend them to fit anyway.

Frank DuVal

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:57 AM, LAS VEGAS DAVE said:

Doesn't the car have brake lines already. Are they damaged? Why would you replace them? Big job if not really necessary. 

If it hasn't been replaced already, 77 year old brake lines need replacing.  Just one weak spot and they will burst when it really matters.

52 minutes ago, Terry Stock said:

If it hasn't been replaced already, 77 year old brake lines need replacing.  Just one weak spot and they will burst when it really matters.

I never had a steel brake line pop. I been driving old cars since they came out with hydraulic brakes. Maybe the frame should be replaced to if it hasn't been replaced since its also 77 years old and one weak spot when hitting a bump at the wrong time could be disastrous. I don't think its a good idea to replace stuff unless it needs replacing. 77 years old means nothing, it could be 5 years old and sitting in salt water of 200 years old in a climate controlled garage. Condition not age is the reason to rebuild, replace, or leave alone.

• Like 1

Say it again.  77 year old brake lines need replacing.

Mine was having some brake work done.  Job completed.  Mechanic presses the brake pedal hard.  Brake line (the steel pipe, not the rubber ones!) burst.  You can't tell what deterioration is occurring inside the pipe.

I defer to experienced experts and admire the wisdom on this forum.  I don't have much expertise, nor a lot of wisdom.  Just be aware of what happened to our '39.