Glove Compartment

89REATTAJIM

Is there any way to gain entry without using the release handle?  I used it last week to get to the gas door release button & it worked fine. Tried it today and it will not release. Does not feel like it's broken, and it is not locked. Any suggestions?

Several years ago I posted a procedure to open the glove box with a broken latch.  Perhaps the following will help you get the door opened even if your latch handle is not broken.  Word of warning, if your latch is not broken be careful pulling the handle out as described in my instructions:  

You will need a flashlight to see under the latch handle and a very small screwdriver. The kind used to fix eye glasses. It helps if you recline the passenger seat and move it forward so you can lay down on the seat while getting close to the glove box lock. Pull the handle out, don't worry about breaking it because it already is, till you see a little silver cylinder. With the screwdriver, try to rotate the cylinder toward the dash. You might "play" with that several minutes before you "hit" it just right. If you were as lucky as I was, the door will just pop open. The handle is toast and will have to be replaced. The problem, these latches should never have been made of plastic. They were pretty easy to break when they were new. Now, more that a decade old, they bite the dust very easily. I was lucky to find some new ones a few years ago.

Hope this helped!

Edited by Howard (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Nice job Howard!!!

We very much appreciate you and others that have Reatta's (or used to!!!) who share their experiences that help all of us Reatta fanatics!  So glad that you continue to pop in from time to time and share knowledge that was earned usually the hard way!  And I personally wish to thank you and others who provide a positive message (your Christmas and holiday best wishes come to mind) that far out way the negative nellies that sometimes latch on to our community.

Thanks and looking forward to reading your messages going forward!  This "thank you!" is meant specifically for Rodger as well as the others who share "the good news" of maintaining and improving our Reatta's!!!

• Like 2

Here is a poor quality picture that might help Reatta owners in the future......as Howard says above.

Arrow #1 points to the part you need to pull on...a little higher than the arrow shows.....the grey plastic behind the lighter colored part is what breaks. 

Arrow #2 is pointing to where the lock stop engages...if the key is locked, a slider is preventing the lighter colored part from moving and it will not open.

DSCN0489.JPG

Glad I was able to help.  I was able to purchase some NOS latches many years ago.  I don't think any such animals still exist.  Jim Finn may have a used latch in the color you need.  I would suggest that if you find any good latches, regardless of color, you should "latch" on to them.  This is a part that fails regularly.  It would be a good thing to have some extras sitting on your parts shelf.  

Edited by Howard (see edit history)
  • Like 1

From the Ebay listings, it looks like the Roadmaster latch is the same,  since our cars used 4 of these latches per car, the chance of you breaking one is greater.

The rear "pass thru" assembly is similar but different.

Several GM cars used this glove box latch, but you will find not all the colors matched from car to car.

The Buick Century from about 1986-1996 and its Olds, & Pontiac sisters used the same glove box latch so they are not that rare, but they also broke when used on those cars.

• Like 1

Below is a good picture of the plastic "handle" and the metal latch from the rear.

When you pull up/out on the plastic handle..that lower tan plastic pushes on that metal part.

You can see on the right side that this plastic is already cracked.

There is little room to reinforce the plastic before or after it breaks but I am sure something could be worked out.

If you have a broken one, post a picture so we can see where it broke.DSCN0498.thumb.JPG.bc0056ccdad679a060318b67f87ea119.JPG

• Like 1