Door skin installation `64

Scott Mckenzie

It's best to tighten the pocket that the stud sit in.  Especially if the studs fall out.  They should stay in place as you handle the panel.   I used some soft RTV to help hold them too

test run your nuts on them and make sure they all spin freely 

once you get them all snug. Check your door alignment/gaps before you tighten them down

• Like 1

I removed and re-installed the skins on my 63 right after I got it back from paint. I was really apprehensive, worried about getting the panel alignment back but mostly chipping the paint. It came out fine, but it's a little spooky handling those skins with new paint. I put painters tape along the edges and craft paper on the doors until I got them roughly in place. Also using a small dab putty to hold the t studs in place during handling was very helpful. PRL

• Like 1

Stuff I've figured out: I put a dab of 5 minute epoxy putty at each bolt tab. Just at the end of the tabs to keep the studs from falling out, not enough to hold the studs tight. That way they have slack to move but not spin in the holes. I've also been able to tap the tabs down a little to keep the studs from spinning.

The outside door lock paw can be tricky. I leave the door partially open at the first notch. You might want to chuck it open with something so it doesn't close on you. I put the lock in "locked" position, so that the rod is lower down.  I push the bottom of the skin on first, then work upwards. I've had good luck holding it against the door with a knee while working the studs into place. With the rod in locked position it's easier to get it in the paw. I like to keep 4 nuts and a 3/8 nut driver in my back pocket, and get a couple of them started at the corners. I don't tighten them until all of them are on, then go top to bottom on each end. If you have a swivel head wrench, it seems to be easier to get the front middle ones tight from the outside of the door.

The most important thing to check when installing is that the lock hole is over the latch on the door. I have removed and reinstalled door skins many times and when you forget to hook the lock up correctly you will only do that once. Good luck. Gene.