Dyeing early '70's Big Buick Vinyl Steering Wheel

SBRMD

Talking about the tri-spoke wheel that came with the Electra, Centurion, Riv, Estate from 1971 - 1973.  Vinyl rim and center section, front and back, excluding the ( thankfully ) removable plasticwoodgrain horn bar.   I have a nice black one,  want to make it blue.   Any words of wisdom regarding technique and materials would be appreciated!   I've read that SEM makes a good vinyl dye, also Duplicolor.   Opinions? 

Thanks in advance, 

Steve. 

Haven't tried that personally, but others seem to have good luck with SEM.  I believe they have several specific primers/adhesion promoters which I think would be important for an item like this that sees constant handling.

If it's truly vinyl, then before you spay it, gently wipe it with some MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytone) that will cause the vinyl to open the pores and the dye will penetrate rather than just sitting on top.  I5t has to dry but you can't walk away from it, you'll need to apply the dye quickly before the pores close again.

GM had some "different" vinyl formulations they used sometimes.  Plastics, too . . . superglue wouldn't stick to them.

It would probably be easier to re-color a lighter color than black, I suspect.  If you got enough "color" to match, the build thickness night be enough to diminish the grain in the existing vinyl (which the ketone treatment might help diminish)?

In many cases, GM superceded the trim items from "color" to "black", as times progressed.  Then becoming a  "Paint To Match" situation, if it was not fabric.

NTX5467

8 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

It would probably be easier to re-color a lighter color than black, I suspect. 

If that's a concern, one could first apply a light gray or white base coat followed by topcoat of the final color.  Black, however, would be less noticeable should the blue lift or wear through in spots.