Unknown cutting tool found in old customizing shop

gwells

Trying to help a friend in NY who has been helping clear out a late friend's garage for the widow, where this unusual power tool was found. So far, no one has any idea what it is and lots of people have been asked.

The deceased for many years did automotive paintwork and customizing (including upholstery, it is believed) and there is a chance that this tool was used in some aspect of that, but that is just a stab in the dark. It may have nothing to do with cars at all.

But there are a lot of very sharp people here on these forums and perhaps someone knows what this item was used for.

There is no cord, so the tool can't be operated. The blade is concave on the cutting edge, sort of a hook, and seems to operate in the manner of a jigsaw. Whatever was being cut couldn't have been very thick. Note that the 'shoe' has an airplane wing shape, with the thinnest section at the front. Note roller and ball bearing on underside of shoe.The switch above the lamp is assumed to turn it on. The side adjusting wheel seems to lower a pin or stud that follows behind the blade. The switch-like tab near the base of the cast upper handle looks like it used to move but it is frozen in place now. The long aluminum contoured trigger on the grip operates some function, perhaps a clutch of some sort connecting the action to a constantly spinning inernal motor. The knurled lever on the butt of the tool seems like it locked the power cord to the tool so it couldn't pull out as the tool was moved. There is what seems to be another adjustment screw on the butt of the handle. 

There has to be an internal motor but it couldn't take up much space, so it is unlikely to be particualrly powerful, suggesting that whatever was being cut didn't require a lot of force. Seems obvious that this tool was to be taken to the material or item being cut.

The tool has no marking of any kind. The round-head screws suggest '30s or '40s to me, as does the bulb shape. The tool doesn't look homemade, mostly because of the couple places where rivets were used, but it is possible. 

Anyone have a clue what this thing is?

tool.a.JPG

tool.b.JPG

tool.c.JPG

tool.d.JPG

tool.e.JPG

tool.f.JPG

Some homework may be in order ... Very possible you may find it on this list of Cloth Cutters as they are very similar designs. I'd check items 15 - 43 on that list  to find any possible matches.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/result.html?sort=relevance&srch=top&query_txt=cloth+cutter&submit=&patents=on

I was thinking cloth, too simply because of it's construction. More like sewing machine style fittings than sheet metal cutting tool fittings. With the wood, it would be a softer surface, too for cutting material/textiles.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I'd agree with a cloth or leather cutter, although it is an unusual design.  It definitely had power to it at some point, thus the light and the toggle switch, plus the finger switch on the handle.  I'd say it's definitely in the trimmer/upholstery realm.  Could have been very plain when sold new, and owner also worked wood and added the fancy grips and such, they have more of a home made look to them than the rest of the tool.

I do trim work and collect old trimmer's tools, I'd be interested in it if you want to sell it.  david.coco@comcast.net  thanks dc

I did think of a cloth cutter when my friend Sam sent me the pics. 30Dodge, I flipped through the patent drawings and most of the cloth cutters use circular blades and often have some sort of feed mechanism to pull the cloth through the cutter, in the manner of a sewing machine. The jigsaw like action is going to shred a normal cloth.

Leather, leatherette, vinyl, heavy canvas, and similar materials would have enough stiffness that the jigsaw cut would work and so no feed mechanism would be needed other than the operator pushing it along. That's my guess anyway...