1937 Model 48 Front Fender and Front Clip removal

Gary W

The Buick now has the garage to herself in preparation for restoration.  I started last night, removing the bumpers, hood, head and fender lamps, radiator support rods, horns,grilles....  

So, what is the proper sequence to remove the front fenders and front "clip"? What order are the parts properly removed.   Thanks guys!

I got it this far in two days.  It seems I have to remove the front of the fender from the forward fender support iron, and remove the rear fender support from the frame, then a few more bolts?  But is this the correct order?  Remove the fenders first, then the clip, or is there a way to remove the clip without removing the fenders?  It seems the radiator has to come out regardless.  

Thanks for any input.

FullSizeRender.jpg

DSC_0633.jpg

I'd like to add a few photos of the car so you can see why I want to restore it.  There are some safety issues, as the car is very original:

The wiring is all completely dry-rotted and I disconnect the battery every day for fear it may start a fire.

The brakes are leaking fluid and the whole system needs a thorough and proper restoration

The spring leaves are cracked and need replacing.  

The Steering box (or somewhere in the system) has a "clunking" high spot that needs addressing.

She runs warm

The fuel gauge does not operate (either the sending unit or the gauge....)

So, the first thing is safety, and I am addressing those issues one by one.

DSC_0667.jpg

DSC_0668.jpg

IMG_7855.JPG

• Like 1

The running boards are dry rotted, as are the motor mounts and body mounts. So....I have my work cut out for me!  Hopefully with help from this forum, the job will go fairly smooth.  I am open to any ideas, suggestions, helpful hints and "If I did it again, I would be sure to......."

Thanks Fellas!

Gary Wheeler,

NJ

DSC_0661.jpg

IMG_7563.jpg

DSC_0621.jpg

• Like 1

You can remove those clips using needle nose pliers and squeezing the base of the clip where it goes through the hole.

If you dont want to go thr "right way" and have the running boards re vulcanized with new rubber, you can fake it by sanding them down and then filling the bad spots with bondo. It is a heck of a job. Then you can use a Harbor Freight pickup bed liner paint thinned down with acetone to spray them with. You'll end up with a fairly tough surface that will look pertty good.

Mine were lots worse than yours and came out like this.

As I said, they are OK and i did it for about $50 and LOTS of time and sanding

DSCN2348.JPG

• Like 1