Remember These Crazy Days?

epriv

I was cleaning out some of my desk drawers at work and found a "Riview" from 1995. Remember these days?

Completely restored, Sahara mist exterior/saddle interior, 500 mi. on newly rebuilt engine, new paint, new headlight motors, stripped to bare metal, restored deluxe interior, new rubber and trunk, wire wheels, loaded $8000. (this was Ray Knott's car).

1966 GS, all original, RF, bought from original owner, drive anywhere, always garaged, complete car, beautiful burgundy and black, $4500

1970, Immaculate, original, show winner, silver/black, A/C, pw, ps, AM/FM, 4 note. Always garaged, Must sell, $4800

1971, very desirable in stunning coppermist metallic, perfect white buckets/console, Max-Trac, auto air temp., cornering lights, cruise, tilt, pw, pl, ps, auto level, new tires, battery, practically flawless, $5950

I have to look back at my "Riview"s from 1985 now and have a good cry. The next time you bring home a "new" old Buick and your better half says "Another piece of junk" ? , well HaHa, the jokes on them.

I bought my first Riv (1968) in 1984 from a used car lot for $900. I miss the old days ^_^

I think it helps the seller a lot more than the buyer. Personally, I'd rather buy from a fellow member or collector who knows the real value rather than someone who inflates the price and see if anyone bites. Of course as they say, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

Mitch

Is it licensed and insured now?  Yes is the correct answer.

Will it start right up and can we go for a test drive? Yes is the answer again.

How long have you owned the car? About three years is a minimum.

Have you done any major work on the car? Answering No means it might be left to you.

If you planned to keep this car, what would you like to spend some money on? Pay real close attention to the answer.

I had a friend in the tree business who said he could drive into a nice, well groomed neighborhood and point out one small overgrown branch. They always wanted it trimmed and their neighbors would have him there working for a few days. He said if he drove by my house he wouldn't even slow down. People are the same with cars. If the answer to the last question is some minor thing you are in a good place.

Bernie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

Is it licensed and insured now?  Yes is the correct answer.

Will it start right up and can we go for a test drive? Yes is the answer again.

How long have you owned the car? About three years is a minimum.

Have you done any major work on the car? Answering No means it might be left to you.

If you planned to keep this car, what would you like to spend some money on? Pay real close attention to the answer.

I had a friend in the tree business who said he could drive into a nice, well groomed neighborhood and point out one small overgrown branch. They always wanted it trimmed and their neighbors would have him there working for a few days. He said if he drove by my house he wouldn't even slow down. People are the same with cars. If the answer to the last question is some minor thing you are in a good place.

Bernie

Love it! 

Mr. Bernie, you are the Friedrich Nietzcshe of Automobilia.  (No offense intended)

Look forward to your posts!  Thanks

On 1/5/2017 at 2:10 PM, PWB said:

Yes. I was a ROA member around '89. No internet!

You think the internet helps or hurts car values? 

Good Question.

Here is my personal take on it. By reaching a larger audience via the internet, a seller has a better chance at selling for a higher price because it helps find the perfect buyer who is willing to pay more than average because a particular car "speaks" to them. Then ad the factor of buyers looking at internet ads with rose colored glasses and buying sight unseen based on pics and paying too much for what is sometimes a pig-in-a-poke. When these sales are visible such as ebay, it tends to artificially or even legitimately inflate prices. Sellers start asking more and are stubborn to come down in price though that has always been present to a smaller degree.  

Rivieras have slowly increased in value over the years keeping up with or exceeding cost of living increases. They seem to have got a good boost in the last 5 years I think due in part to Hemmings promoting the Riviera on several occasions. As enthusiasts tire of the same old mainstream classics, those with class and style look for something less common yet very attractive and affordable. To us who have bought Rivieras in the 70s and 80s, they have become overpriced. To the mainstream enthusiasts used to GTO, Chevelle, and Mopar prices, Rivieras are a real bargain.......Well at least when buying a nice example not needing restoration because restoration costs are very high for Buicks vs many mainstream cars that can be built from a catalog. 

Having said that, while its more difficult today requiring networking, scouring craigslist ads, and following up on any leads, Rivieras can still be found for very reasonable prices to those who are patient. 

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Jason, I agree with your assessment, and especially regarding the support of Hemmings.

Hardly a month goes by without Hemmings promoting how desirable  60's Rivieras are. Having a class for them

at the Hemmings Concours D'elegance is just the latest in a long line of promotions of our cars. I think

Richard Lentinello is probably our most ardent supporter at Hemmings. 

IMHO, the internet helps overall sales and pricing of all vintage cars. Simply adding another channel (the internet) was bound to affect sales and thereby pricing. Back in the day, the advent of the Auto Trader magazine was a significant channel that added to the selling scene previously dominated by local papers and word of mouth. Every time you add a channel, it tends to boost activity and affect pricing up or down. Obviously, the scale and scope of the internet was un-precedented. Thirty years ago, the likelihood of a buyer from another country was low. Today, you are just as likely to sell your Riv within the country as to Russia. For a lot of consumer products the internet has created demand, to which manufacturers responded with increased production which caused commoditization and drove down price. Fortunately, no more Rivs are being made so commoditization is less an issue. Still, the internet helps to flush out many cars that were unknown before so there is a slight inventory broadening effect. The internet has also spawned a whole group of flippers, speculators and schemers but I think that's a relatively small % of the market. So overall, IMHO the upside of the internet is the increased distribution of your sales message, the increased likelihood of a sale and the benefit of competitive pricing on a strictly limited product.  PRL

• Like 1