1929 interior door handle terminology

Mark Huston

I was recently doing some research in the Studebaker master body parts catalog to clarify which years and models of Studebaker’s may have used the same style interior door handles that are on my 1929 Studebaker President. The terminology used by Studebaker now has me confused.   In the 1929 Studebaker sales catalog they used the term “German silver” to describe the finish on the interior door handles.   In the parts catalog they indicated that early 1929 Studebaker’s have “Butler finish” and later in the 1929 production “Nickel finish.”    I was always under the impression that German silver was a fancy way of saying Nickel finish.   Is there a difference between these three descriptions?   If so, what is the difference between Butler finish, German silver, and Nickel finish when referring to the interior door handles?   

I have attached a picture of the interior door handles of my 1929 Studebaker. 

Interior Door Handles.JPG

According to the www, this is what I find:

German silver or nickel silver is an alloy of 60 per cent copper, 20 per cent nickel and 20 per cent zinc.

A butler finish is a finish produced by fairly fine abrasive, resulting in many parallel lines. Also known as a satin finish or a brushed finish. Merriam-Webster define it as a satin finish produced on silver by first buffing bright and then dulling to simulate the appearance of old silver

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

I am not sure of the complete process of "electroless nickle". I do know that I had 5 - 36" steel rims redone with "electroless nickle" and found the cost was very favorable. Less than 2/3 s the cost of regular nickle plating. The end result on the car was outstanding.

This is the overview by wikipedia:

"Electroless nickel plating is an auto-catalytic reaction used to deposit a coating of nickel on a substrate. Unlike electroplating, it is not necessary to pass an electric current through the solution to form a deposit. This plating technique is to prevent corrosion and wear. EN techniques can also be used to manufacture composite coatings by suspending powder in the bath.[1] Electroless nickel plating has several advantages versus electroplating. Free from flux-density and power supply issues, it provides an even deposit regardless of workpiece geometry, and with the proper pre-plate catalyst, can deposit on non-conductive surfaces."

Here is a "simple" electroplating method with nickel:

http://www.instructables.com/id/High-Quality-and-safe-Nickel-Plating/

Caswell supply kits for electroless nickel plating:

http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/nickel-plating-kits/electroless-nickel-plating-kits.html

Just remember that nickel plating is porous and corrosion will follow. So you need copper first - copper is not porous.

These people offer the service for firearms, giving a list of impressive advantages:

https://robarguns.com/custom-firearm-finishes/electroless-nickel/

Wikipedia give a good rundown about it, including these disadvantages:

"Disadvantages include:

1. Lifespan of chemicals is limited.
  2. Waste treatment cost is high due to the speedy chemical renewal.
  3. Porous nature of electroless plating leads to inferior material structure compared to electrolytic processes.

Each type of electroless nickel also has particular advantages depending on the application and type of nickel alloy."

Here is something about surface preparation:

bren.ucsb.edu/~dturney/port/papers/Electroless/07.pdf

Enough! You can ask the www about it yourself.

• Like 1