What Is It? -

Marty Roth

From the family of Dr. Sid Williams, marietta, GA, founder of Life Chiropractic College, where my brother and a cousin graduated:

Can you help identify this car?

IMG_5021.JPG

Thank you nzcarnerd, 

There may be a slight difference in the front fenders, but that could just be an earlier or later year difference. Other than that, it certainly appears to be a Velie, and I'll share this opinion/inquiry with John Nikodym in Nebraska who is a Velie collector/expert, and is Chairman of the 2017 Glidden Tour

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)

We have learned that the car belonged to Dr BJ Palmer, the developer of Chiropractic. The time frame would definitely work.  He was born in 1882 and passed in 1961, so he would have been about age 40 in this photo.

John Nikodym reports:

Marty,  The car in the photo is indeed a Velie model 48 Touring car.   This model was offered from 1920 through 1922.   The body on that model had a lot of square corners rather than flowing curves and many people consider them a bit ugly.   The blue car that someone added in the AACA post is now with its owner in Netherlands.  That car was previously owned by Bill Bomgardner who was the director of AACA for a number of years. 

IMG_5021.JPG

Model 48 Brochure.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth
correction and delete request for photo (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

So those are his initials on the radiator.

Yes, it sure looks that way - BJP - B. J. Palmer who founded the concept of Chiropractic, as well as Palmer College of Chiropractic in Davenport, Iowa. 

Sid Williams graduated there and then started his own College in Marietta, Georgia, where my brother (now retired), and my cousin Brian graduated.

Thanks all for your quick response and remarkable help.

We have a great network of experience and expertise on this FORUM 

B. J. Palmer was a very flamboyant individual so it is not surprising that he would have his "logo" displayed prominently on his automobile. It is also not surprising that he would be driving a Velie which was a local product. He would have been well acqainted with the Velie family as they were all prominent residents of the (then) Tri-city metropolitan area of Moline and Rock Island, IL and Davenport, IA.

Don