1955 Buick Side View Mirror

packick

I don't know whether this topic has ever come up before on the Forum but I thought I'd ask.

By 1955 I assume a driver's side view mirror was standard equipment on all Buicks.  If so, what did the side view mirror look like as delivered by Buick?  The picture below shows the side view mirror on my Century.  I don't know whether this is an optional side view mirror that Buick offered, or whether the original owner went down to his local parts store and replaced the Buick-issued mirror because he liked this one better.  Any thoughts?

Side View Mirror.JPG

Edited by packick
Some original text disappeared when posting. (see edit history)

My car came with non-stock mirrors as well. The issue with putting new mirrors on is the additional body work to seal the old screw holes, and then also drill new holes for the correct mirrors. I seceded and bought tri-five mirrors for a fraction of the official Buick repro mirrors that had the same screw pattern. Not correct, but they work and I didn't have to drill any more holes.

• Like 2

OK.  If I understand everyone's response, this is what I think everyone is saying:

According to Old-Tank, factory mirrors were installed on the doors and look like the ones in his picture.  And that's how they would look on the showroom floor Buicks in 1955.  But according to JohnD1956, the dealer could remove the factory installed mirrors and instead mount a different kind of mirror (like mine) on the fender.  Or am I missing something?

If you look at the 56 Buick Brochure pictures of some of the models show no outside mirrors.  I'm thinking a dealer could install an outside mirror where none existed, if a customer wanted one.   I'm not sure a dealer would install a different mirror if one was installed at the factory.  But back in those days, I believe previous conversations indicate dealers would install 1956 Roadmaster fender bombsights on other 56 models.  If they would do that, then they could conceivably remove a factory mirror and install another.  None of this proves the mirror shown in the OP picture is a factory authorized accessory.  All I can say is my 56 Roadmaster had a similar, if not identical, mirror.

On 11/22/2016 at 5:44 PM, packick said:

OK.  If I understand everyone's response, this is what I think everyone is saying:

According to Old-Tank, factory mirrors were installed on the doors and look like the ones in his picture.  And that's how they would look on the showroom floor Buicks in 1955.  But according to JohnD1956, the dealer could remove the factory installed mirrors and instead mount a different kind of mirror (like mine) on the fender.  Or am I missing something?

They wouldn't have to remove factory mirrors. The mirrors were only optional on some models, so instead of paying $12 for factory mirrors, they might pay $5 from the dealer or Western Auto, etc.

**Above dollar amounts are merely made up by me for illustrative purposes.

Edited by buick5563 (see edit history)
  • Like 2