1972 Riviera door glass scratch removal

kreed

I am restoring a 1972 Riviera . My door glass on both sides has fine scratches . Has anyone had any luck polishing out these fine scratches ? I know they are tempered and easily broken but have a couple of spares that I could practice on first - just not sure what compound is best . I would also consider buying any NOS if any still survive . Any help would be appreciate 

KReed 

ROA 14945

Wow an NOS side glass! that's great!

I've used the Eastwood kit on several windshields and side glass over the years in order to restore and keep original date coded glass. Another reason is new glass, at least as far as Riviera front windshields, do not have the same shading as originals. I have found the polishing kit to work well on anything you can't catch a fingernail or razor knife on. Pretty much have to do the whole thing even if you only have one spot to make it even in appearance.

On those scratches that you can catch a knife edge on, you can polish it out and make it less noticeable but NOT eliminate it. I have actually used sandpaper on deeper scratches to feather the sharp edges of the scratch then polish and polish which helps make them much less noticeable. Like polishing pitted stainless, if the surface is bad enough to require sanding it down, you just created several hours more of work to make it smooth and shiny. 

This is a very tedious process which takes gobs of patience and several hours start to finish. Any attempt to rush the job and failure will be likely. I have 100% eliminated the typical wide sweeping drag marks from wipers.

Replacing is a better alternative in most, but not all instances.