Engine acceleration problem on 1990 Reatta

Guest xerxes66

Guest xerxes66

I've replaced the crank sensor, the cam sensor, the belt tensioner, cleaned the MAF sensor, but still have a couple of problems. The car will start and idle fine but hesitates and misses when accelerating. I'd run the codes but my dash has reverted to the dreaded "00" state. 
Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance!

I'm inclined to say the cat has collapsed internally based on the symptoms (the cluster is failure is a separate and unrelated issue).I had this happen on one of mine and it idled just fine, but under load it ran so bad it almost stalled. it actually blew out the EGR mounting flange gasket due to the increased back pressure.

The ICM/plugs/wires could be suspect, but if the car idles fine then I'd be less inclined to point at that as the cause. How steady is the tach at idle? If it stays within a range of about 75 rpms, generally around 650 at warm engine, then I'd say and ignition problem is less likely.

• Like 2

When a GM car stumbles under load, I always check first for high resistance in the secondary ignition circuit(s), coil(s), wires, plugs.     I converted my 90 over to the three-coil system, if I ever get a stumble, first thing I'll do is coil swaps just cuz its easy.  You might work in the dark with one of the spark indicators in the link below, rev the motor and look for irregularities in the spark rhythm, and get lucky to locate a problem.   If you go that route, be careful of rotating assemblies in the dark, they can f- you up, I do it bare-chested.   That Lisle tool is available at most auto stores for a few bucks.   Good luck 

Edited by ChrisWhewell (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I did all the same stuff and had the same problem with my '86 Electra. I replaced the MAF sensor in 10 minutes and it runs great.

I found the correct part number and scored an NOS one on Ebay for $20. It appeared to come from a lawnmower parts dealer in Chicago who must have bought out the contents of a garage next door. There are still some deals out there.

Bernie

Padgett, I believe he was referencing the fact the Delco coils are three separate units comprising 2 outputs each and individually replaceable, where the Magnavox coil pack is an all-in-one package of three coils and if one goes the whole assembly is a throw away.