Help-Cooling System Noise 1963 Riv

Riviera63

Hi,

I am looking to get some help identifying the possible cause and solution to a noise that has started to crop up while driving the car. The noise can best be described as a loud gurgling which seems to be coming from the area behind the glove box. Heater core area? This noise had presented itself once or twice before but, never with the regularity that it is presenting now. It seems to be presenting more often as time goes on. We took a fairly lengthy drive last Sunday and this noise presented itself many times most notably during acceleration and cornering. It is loud enough and happening often enough now that it is becoming an annoyance. It has presented itself with or without the heater/defroster being on. Since it is almost time to put the car away I took it in to be checked before doing so. They heard the noise but, could not find a cause. The radiator and heater core were new 2 years ago. The cooling system was checked and only a cup of anti-freeze was added, thermostat opens as it should and the coolant circulates and flows as it should. Has anyone had this happen to them or hazard a guess as to what is going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

I had some gurgling way back when on my 63. Definitely was coming from the console, under-dash glovebox area. It was a low fluid level in the Dynaflow. Shifted fine. Sounded weird. The dipstick level was fine, but adding another pint for so cured it. According to the stick I'm a little over full, but everything sounds good, no leaks and shifts great. Worth a try. PRL

58 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Bill,

Try reversing the heater hoses at the heater core.

Tom

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ed, I have an off and on rattle back in the passenger rear quarter that I cannot seem to locate. The car has been checked for the infamous "Riviera Rattle" to see if this is the cause of that. Fuel lines, brake lines, everything secure and not touching. This rattle has been there since day one of owning the car. Doesn't do it all the time and seems to crop up more when the weather is cold such as early spring or late fall. Rattles in park or when driving. Weird.

I will have them switch the heater hoses. Tom, I am not doubting your advice, I am curious for my own knowledge. What is the reasoning for reversing those hoses? What will that do? Or from a different aspect, why does it gurgle if they were switched? I'm sure it is very possible that those hoses were reversed when the new heater core was installed. 

Pete, I never would have guessed in a million years that the transmission might be the culprit. I will try the heater hose switch first and keep that one tucked away in case it does not work.

Bill

I've always postulated that the infamous "Riviera Rattle" is just a bad exhaust hanger but what do I know. Lately my 63 is making a slight wheezing sound, almost like a sigh, especially after shutdown. I'm thinking its a vacuum leak someplace or maybe early signs of a failing brake booster Anyway, I guess you are gonna get some wheezing, gurgling and rattling in a 50 year old car. Or maybe it's the operator? PRL

1 hour ago, petelempert said:

I've always postulated that the infamous "Riviera Rattle" is just a bad exhaust hanger but what do I know. Lately my 63 is making a slight wheezing sound, almost like a sigh, especially after shutdown. I'm thinking its a vacuum leak someplace or maybe early signs of a failing brake booster Anyway, I guess you are gonna get some wheezing, gurgling and rattling in a 50 year old car. Or maybe it's the operator? PRL

Pete,

This operator definitely is more than 50 years old and has his share of wheezing, gurgling, rattling and other assorted noises. So far I have been able to distinguish between operator noises and car noises. I am glad to know that there are others that share the same afflictions. Thanks.

Bill

Had the car in and had the heater hoses reversed at the heater core. They had to do some adapting as the hoses are/were different sizes. Seems to have fixed the problem. I am glad it was a simple fix. The guys at the garage had no explanation as to why it worked. They said that the cooling system really moved the coolant through the system at a rapid clip and maybe that caused the gurgling. By switching the hoses around it caused the flow to slow down some eliminating the gurgle. Does anyone have an explanation as to why this solved the problem? I would be interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Bill

Air in the cooling system was my first thought and that was checked. I never asked if they checked the cap. I have never had any leaks, the car has never overheated and the heater/defroster has always worked as it should, so I am thinking the cap is OK. A mystery to me.Thanks.

Bill   

You can have air pockets in the cooling system.  I've done this in the past.  Drill a 1/8" hole in the flat part of the thermostat.  It lets air escape but it's not big enough to make any difference in what water may get through the hole to cause any problems with the cooling system.  Once you've got the hole in the thermostat, loosen the cap and park the car so the radiator is 'uphill' from the rest of the block.  Overnight the air bubble will work its way up and out of the system.  Be sure that all of the temp control valves are open so no air is trapped in the heater hoses, etc.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1