Scraping 91 coupe What parts are worth keeping?

Reattatude

Three years sitting in the driveway w/ salvage title, she says it's gotta be gone by end of the year. 

Help me compile a list of parts that could be used as spares on an 89 or otherwise of value. Not interior as I have already stripped most of that out...things that my mechanic can remove.

Thanks for your input!

Edited by Reattatude (see edit history)

I'd suggest all related parts to do with headlights, fog lights, parking lights, taillights; all relays and fuses...if all are currently working.  Also, all exterior trim if in good shape.

May I also suggest the console foglamp switch (a 91 only part) and the ABS modulator valve (aluminum block marked Bosch in engine bay to which all steel brake lines wre attached) as it is not so easy to find a working one if needed.

EBCM in the trunk (brake controller module) and the center caps if present. Heck, the wheels maybe worth saving if they aren't trashed. I'd also save the PCM and BCM if they are known to be good. Will second the windshield if it isn't cracked and then encapsulation rubber is good around the edges. Grab the vent windows too, if not the side windows too. Rear window is worth keeping as well if good, new ones are not readily available as with the windshield.

Some of the above items (modules, fog lamp switch) are 91 only items. Still worth keeping in case you get another 91 or want to sell them and make a few bucks, since they will not be useful on your 89. Almost forgot, get the headlamp  switch too. While if only fits 91 (91-93 Riviera as well) it is a saleable item and can also be used to supply some parts for rebuilding the 1990 headlamp switch. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2016 at 11:22 AM, ChrisWhewell said:

Windshield ?   Aren't they worth like $1400 ??    Also, how about the entire braking system....

Unfortunately, the windshield is not perfect so I doubt if it would be worth much. The rear glass is fine.

The bosch system was in good condition and the ABS were not throwing errors. Thanks.

On 10/6/2016 at 1:35 PM, KDirk said:

May I also suggest the console foglamp switch (a 91 only part) and the ABS modulator valve (aluminum block marked Bosch in engine bay to which all steel brake lines wre attached) as it is not so easy to find a working one if needed.

EBCM in the trunk (brake controller module) and the center caps if present. Heck, the wheels maybe worth saving if they aren't trashed. I'd also save the PCM and BCM if they are known to be good. Will second the windshield if it isn't cracked and then encapsulation rubber is good around the edges. Grab the vent windows too, if not the side windows too. Rear window is worth keeping as well if good, new ones are not readily available as with the windshield.

Some of the above items (modules, fog lamp switch) are 91 only items. Still worth keeping in case you get another 91 or want to sell them and make a few bucks, since they will not be useful on your 89. Almost forgot, get the headlamp  switch too. While if only fits 91 (91-93 Riviera as well) it is a saleable item and can also be used to supply some parts for rebuilding the 1990 headlamp switch. 

Yes, the lamp switches are good just need to remove the screws / connector. The brakes were working well last time it was on the road so I will save that mod valve along with the EBCM controller.

The 91 wheels are already gone along with the fog lamps and I will get the headlamp assemblies for sure.

Any suggestion for engine parts that may be more difficult to pull and worth the trouble?? I would like to get anything important that's interchangeable on the 1989 though I realize the model year /color mismatch means there isn't much interior or trim I can use

Heh, building quite the list here. Most of the major engine accessories as listed in the previous post are usable on the 89 but some things are different and not interchangeable. ICM, alternator, power steering pump are all useful for sure.

The A/C system is different (changes in compressor, line set, accumulator location) so not much can be saved and used on your 89. Engine itself is different of course, so anything model year specific is only worth pulling if you plan to sell it later or possibly get another 91 you can use them on.

The side moldings and emblems (hood, doors, rear filler) are worth keeping if in good condition as they can be used across all four years. Keep the clips for the side moldings also, not sure if these can be bought new anymore and they can break fairly easily when pulling the moldings of the doors and rear fender.

Some interior pieces worth keeping are the plastic covers over the side mirror brackets if not broken, the power lock paddles and actuator with firm piece and the black plastic cups that insert behind the chrome inside door handle. The latter are susceptible to breaking around the screw hole if stressed or over tightened. These are useful across all for years as well. If not keeping the door panels complete, keep the speaker grilles at least, I find these are breaking more easily now with advanced age (brittle).

Seatbelts may be worth keeping if they are a color you can use and aren't faded or filthy. Maybe the high mount stop lamp housing also. Oh, and the RKE (keyless entry receiver) module, it is identical 89-91.  You're gonna need a bigger garage or shed.

On 10/7/2016 at 7:34 PM, KDirk said:

The side moldings and emblems (hood, doors, rear filler) are worth keeping if in good condition as they can be used across all four years. Keep the clips for the side moldings also, not sure if these can be bought new anymore and they can break fairly easily when pulling the moldings of the doors and rear fender.

Do the moldings come off easy? I have clip removal tool that works well on my Roadmaster. What is the best way to approach it?

Yes, the lamp switches are good just need to remove the screws / connector. The brakes were working well last time it was on the road so I will save that mod valve along with the EBCM controller.

The 91 wheels are already gone along with the fog lamps and I will get the headlamp assemblies for sure.

Any suggestion for engine parts that may be more difficult to pull and worth the trouble?? I would like to get anything important that's interchangeable on the 1989 though I realize the model year /color mismatch means there isn't much interior or trim I can use

On 10/7/2016 at 6:02 PM, 89RedSlate said:

ICM

COILS W/ BRACKET

ALTERNATOR

BELT W/ TENSIONER

AC COMPRESSOR

HVAC BLOWER RESISTOR

BLOWER MOTOR

AC LINES

CONDENSOR

RADIATOR

TRANS COOLER LINES

PS COOLER

RACK & PINION

PS PUMP

AIR BOX-TO-THROTTLE BODY FLEX HOSE

MAF

TPS

MAT

COOLANT TEMP SENSOR

OIL PRESSURE SENSOR

KNOCK SENSOR

PARKING BRAKE CABLES...

(or- just find some place to store the whole car):rolleyes:

RedSlate my mechanic will just love your list, but I think I will leave the a/c components and the radiator behind! 

If I had a place to store the car it would still be taking up SPACE that I need worse for other uses! ha ha

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jakemiller321

I was curious, as I'm I. Desperate need of a few odds and ends that are extremelyhard to find at a reasonable price, or anywhere remotely near something I can afford, I have a 91 riviera that my father gave me, it has 117,xxx original miles and one previous owner before my father bought it earlier this year. This car is my daily driver, and I depend on it. But I've had a few of the dreaded problems with these models. Such as  the headlamp switch, I am in desperate need of and just don't have 200 dollars for one on eBay.  

I also have 3 of the original 91 riviera wire spoke style wheel covers with center caps in amazing condition, I intended to try to locate a 4th, but if they would aid in bartering for a headlamp switch so I can drive my car past sundown then they are on the table      

Jakemiller321 here is a couple of places to try.

For the headlight switch;

Blue Grass Auto Parts 1-800-432-0730 $45.00

Cousineau Auto 1-866-330-3730 $35.00

For the wire wheel cover;

D & D Salvage 1-877-299-7398 $25.00

Ask for pictures.

Good luck