What car used these antique headlamps? Are they of any value?

Guest bodenfris

Guest bodenfris

Hi, I have these 2 antique headlamps and I do not know what car they were used on, and can't seem to find any like them. The raised writing on the glass says Macbeth Pittsburgh. There is a right and a left side headlamp, they are not interchangeable. 
I am looking for the following information please:
1) what make/model car(s) were they used on and what years?

2) do they have any value?

Thank you, I appreciate any and all help that anyone can provide!

antique headlamps 1.jpg

antique headlamps 2.jpg

antique headlamps 3.jpg

antique headlamps 4.jpg

antique headlamps 5.jpg

antique headlamps 6.jpg

antique headlamps 7.jpg

antique headlamps 8.jpg

antique headlamps 9.jpg

antique headlamps 10.jpg

The mounting brackets are very distinct. I've not seen any car headlamps like that before. Is Donald Axlerod still around? Last time I went to Hershey, he was the MAN, when it comes to identifying old headlights. That was all he sold in his large booth. 

My buddy Corky has a Mitchell. I've ridden in it with him years ago, but don't recall the headlights. I've had lots of headlights from many era's before. I guess I just haven't noticed any like these brackets before. 

6 minutes ago, lump said:

My buddy Corky has a Mitchell. I've ridden in it with him years ago, but don't recall the headlights. I've had lots of headlights from many era's before. I guess I just haven't noticed any like these brackets before. 

I wasn't suggesting these were Mitchell lights, just illustrating the fact that some cars had their lights mounted on the radiator.

Guest bodenfris

Thanks for all the replies. Keiser 31, here are a couple side shots. The date on the glass is 1914, if that helps? Hoping someone recognizes these. The green that sticks out is glass and part of the lens cover, kind of like a visor on a baseball cap. I can't find them anywhere yet.

antique headlamps 1.jpg

antique headlamps 2.jpg

Guest bodenfris
9 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Well, they look like the acorn style, but maybe you can post a side view/profile shot so we can see the curve of the buckets. What is the diameter of the lamps?

I added more pics on the comments for all to see, please let me know your thoughts, thanks!

Guest bodenfris

Someone suggested they may be for Model T's, but I searched dozens of old pics of them and never saw any with the visors on the glass. Was it maybe an option?

Guest bodenfris

Thanks, I didn't even think there was an "aftermarket" in the teens, lol! But then again, that's why I am here on this forum, hoping to get answers from people who really know. I know very little about antique cars. Do you have any guess at a value?

I have sold flat lenses for $15.00-$20.00 each. Yours are a little different. Maybe more desirable, maybe less....not sure. You could check out "completed listings" on Ebay or go here....http://www.oldcarlenses.com/index.html

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I'm submitting these pics of a 1916 Chev 490 headlight to say the orig. post. shows a fairly common design for passenger cars switching to electric lights.

The original post headlight brackets look like they accept a bar or rod that extends from one to the other.

Mid teens Dodge used such a set up but a clear view is hard to come by.

1916 2.jpg

1916 1.jpg

Edited by drwatson (see edit history)

14 hours ago, bodenfris said:

Thanks, I didn't even think there was an "aftermarket" in the teens, lol! But then again, that's why I am here on this forum, hoping to get answers from people who really know. I know very little about antique cars. Do you have any guess at a value?

Oh, yes, the aftermarket was already thriving in the teens. Then, as now, many, many of the parts on the cars were "aftermarket" to begin with. The aftermarket has created thousands of innovations and inventions, which ended up as OEM equipment some years later. 

Those green visors are definitely an aftermarket accessory. And keep in mind that these cars were often used for decades beyond their year of "birth," and were commonly accessorized for all of their useful lives. 

A few small examples of aftermarket parts from a 1920s advert...

s-l1000.jpg

This Macbeth ad may be of interest on ebay . The lenses alone are very desirable but value is what ever someone is willing to pay. If I had them I'd want at least $100 for the pair.

mas0101b.jpg

• 2 months later...

The old car guys loved these lenses. They were offered as an alternate back in the day, as were hundreds of other patterns and types. Finally as more and more cars where on the roads, the govt got involved and only approved only some of them.

I keep everything, and have tons of these old lenses, most are quite beautiful.

I have these MacBeths in many sizes and as usual the smaller ones and the larger ones are the most rare.