833 higher geared rear end

Similar car -

My 1930 Packard 733 is factory equipped with a 5.08:1 reduction differential. As you can imagine, while certainly capable, I'd prefer not to keep her wound up at modern highway speeds, bu prefer to maintain originality.

We added a Borg-Warner Overdrive, rebuilt and installed by Lloyd Young. It was bolted directly to the differential, and a new shortened drive shaft was built, retaining the original for the future, and allowing me to return the car to original if ever required.

The 733 is a 4-speed transmission with the Extra-Low "Granny" Low Gear - Perfect for transporting 7 passengers and their luggage up the Alps or from Paris to Monaco, where our car spent her life until 2002.

The Borg-Warner unit gives a 30% reduction, or more properly stated, at comparable road speed, the engine is turning only 70% as fast as it had been previously. I can also use the OD on either 2nd or 3rd gear, so effectively I have granny plus five (5) additional gears. Sometimes 3rd is too high, but 2nd is too low, and 2nd Overdrive may be perfect for ascending a long hill.

In this case, my 5.08:1 becomes a 3.556:1 ratio.

With overdrive, as opposed to a permanent change of final drive, I believe I have the best of both worlds - Low gearing when required - High gearing when desired, and I can even put it in "Granny" and walk alongside during a parade.

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)

That sounds like a very good plan to follow as well.

Mine too is a four speed so I will surely look in to the overdrive option, do you happen to have part numbers or other info for this overdrive set up?

I looked at mine this morning and here are all the numbers I can find on it.

"140436-12-61-Packard 0 30   577"

Not sure what these numbers mean, but hopefully they will mean something to those knowledgeable enough in these matters.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it
Barry

I, too, have a Lloyd Young overdrive on my 1929 Cadillac and it does indeed make a huge difference in cruising speed. Not faster, but more relaxed at, say, 55 MPH. Remember you still have ancient tires, suspension, and brakes, so the goal isn't more speed, just not to beat up those long-throw engines. Don't think you'll be driving your Packard at 75 MPH with modern traffic--that's still a very bad idea.

That said, if I were doing it again, I'd go Gear Vendors. My Borg-Warner unit has been pretty unreliable, even after three rebuilds, and I regret installing it. I wish I had gone with Gear Vendors in the first place. They make a setup that you should be able to adapt to your Packard--I've seen them installed somewhere in the center of the chassis on a custom subframe with two custom short driveshafts using modern U-joints. Keep the original stuff, make everything so that it can be unbolted, and you can take it back to stock in a matter of hours. The Gear Vendors overdrive is something like 27%, not quite the 30% of the Borg-Warner, but a negligible difference. Bulletproof reliability, no spooky, unsafe free-wheeling to deal with, and rated for hundreds of horsepower, so you'll never stress it out (the BW unit isn't really made to channel the torque of these engines and the weight of these bodies--it was for Ford Thunderbirds and other smallish cars).

Either way, you'll spend several thousand dollars doing it. Do it right the first time and go Gear Vendors. I have no affiliation with them, but I have years of experience with my B-W unit and it's been nothing but frustrating. 

thanks Matt, I appreciate your candid response, Ill do a search for the Gear vendors and see what I can find.

I have a 26 as well that id like to do this to it as well. Im very happy tooling around at 45, but Id love to hear the engine scream a bit less.

Thanks for your input, Its great to have those like  you willing to share what you have learned.

Barry

Matt is certainly correct with respect to high horsepower applications. My Borg Warner units in my 733 Packard, as well as my (Previous) 1912 Oakland and 1934 Buick were certainly reliable, and the Gear Vendors unit was almost three times the price. If ever my current OD goes bad, I'll once again look into the Gear Vendors, but at the time it looked like the BW was a better choice for me.

Either way, you are better off reducing the engine revs and continuing to drive at a safe speed

Good luck in your quest.

Now get with your AACA Region, and start planning a National Tour for the rest of us ...

We have a 904 Touriing with a high speed rear. No muss, no fuss, drives great, and no modifications to the chassis or drive line. I think it is the best option. Over drive units and splitters just don't look right, some are fussy and un dependable, why not just use a bolt in ring and pinion? We have them on several of our cars, and I wouldn't use anything else. Ed

• Like 1

What you suggest was definitely my first choice and I believe if I knew where to find these alternate ring gears I would go that route. 

Csn you point me in acertain direction to purchase these parts?

I appreciate your feed back, I'm doing my best to learn and understand the best ways to do things 

barry

• 1 month later...
Guest Tor Otto Fougner

I have a Buick 1932 Mod. 56S and looking for the following Parts:

1.       Electronic Ignition 6V

2.       Rear end ring gear and pinion to change the ratio from 4,1-1 to ca. 3,7-1

Can you help me?

Med vennlig hilsen/regards

Tor Otto Fougner

Maths Pedersensgt. 7

2318 Hamar                                Mob.: +47 480 31 116

Norway                                        Mail:   tor-otto@fougner.info