Possible cheap substitute for floorboard trim on early cars

22touring

I couldn't find an exact reproduction of the aluminum floorboard trim on my '22 model.  Brad of L & L antique Auto Trim was helpful, but I don't think even he had quite the right "cap trim molding", as it seems to be called.  I found something quite similar at Home Depot, however, and ordered 16 feet of it:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Alexandria-Moulding-1-4-in-x-3-4-in-x-96-in-Metal-Mira-Lustre-Cap-Trim-Moulding-AT024-AM096C03/205576710

The only problem with this trim molding is the "final bend" - see attachment.  You don't really want that final bend, or you want it to be only a slight bend. Except for that, it would be an almost identical replacement, and cheap!  Brad says he couldn't come anywhere near the price.

I  am going to try running the molding through my Harbor Freight pinch roller set to see if I can remove that last bend, and will report back later.

trim molding.jpg

dc-8dave: good point.  I had checked neither the Restoration Supply Co. nor the Restoration Specialties, Inc. catalogs.  While Restoration Specialties didn't seem to have any floorboard moldings, Restoration Supply had two possible candidates.  Their MOU054 floorboard molding looks like it might be just the ticket, although somewhat expensive. Their MOU052 looks like it would also work, and is less than half the price of the MOU054, but I don't think it would look quite correct because the original floorboard trim seems to have had an oval top.

Spinneyhill, an extrusion like you've mentioned would be OK, but I don't think they are available with an oval top.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm still hoping that maybe I'll be able to convert the cheap Home Depot molding to something looking like the original oval top trim.

floor trim1.jpg

floor trim2.jpg

Edited by 22touring (see edit history)

Cutting off a portion as you propose would leave a long exposure of unprotected aluminium, which is at the top of the galvanic table with zinc. Corrosion protection might be necessary. Or are you going to attempt to bend it up? Hopefully the Al is not too brittle (work hardened) after anodizing.

Do you think the unequal angle with rounded flange sold by Restoration Supplies is made for them? Ullrich show cope moulds on their website that might be just what you are looking for. http://www.ullrich-aluminium.co.nz/extrusions/cope-moulds

You might also look through the shapes available as nosing for flooring (step edges).

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

"No go" with the cheap Home Depot trim molding!  You were right, Spinneyhill: the aluminum was too stiff where it was bent, and was impossible to straighten out. I had to order some MOU054 from Restoration Supply.

Surprisingly, Restoration Supply didn't have any flat fender welt.  The only kind they sell has a 1/4" bead along one edge.  I ordered some anyway. Is there any reason not to use this between the frame and the body, even though it has the small bead?  Is the old flat fender welt becoming hard to get?

Maybe Restoration Specialties has some.

On 9/8/2016 at 5:41 PM, jan arnett (2) said:

Look at Lowes for counter edgeing.

I did check the Lowe's website, jan, but didn't find anything better than the edging that Home Depot had. But maybe I missed something? Could you give me a link to the edging you're referring to on the Lowe's website that has an "oval top"?

The contour of the most similar edging I could find at Home Depot was nothing like the original DB molding because it didn't have an oval top, but the Restoration Supply MOU054 seems to be very close to original.