Historic Racing trophies

Terry Bond

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/trophies-won-by-auto-racing-pioneer-joan-newton-cuneo-joins-century-old-joe-doyle-error-baseball-card-in-seattle-auction-aug-18-300312817.html

This past weekend, some very important and historic racing trophies went up for auction in Seattle Wa.  They included the Rainier Motor Company 1908 Glidden Tour plaque awarded for a perfect score.  It's about the finest piece of automobilia and racing history I've seen!   Unfortunately it looks like none of the beautiful trophies met reserve and remain unsold.   I would have expected items like this to have received a lot of publicity and auction-day interest, but for some reason, they went absolutely flat. I don't recall seeing a lot of pre-auction publicity in the auto related press and am wondering if it's just a failing of the auction company to reach out to the right market.  Or, does it signal a sudden decline in the excitement for early automobilia or objects of historic interest like these.  Perhaps the very high "estimates" scared people away?   Not sure how strong bidding was, but if for some reason these objects get to the Hershey swap meet it would be great to see them in person.  Or - better yet, perhaps the family would consider placing them in the AACA Museum? 

I included a bit of info about Joan Newton Cuneo in my Brass Car Seminar last year in Philadelphia and there was a lot of interest in this pioneer lady motorist.   A great book was published a while back on her, and I'm working on an expanded version of my early car seminar for future use, but it sure would be nice not to see these trophies go back into storage and not be enjoyed or displayed for others to enjoy.

Sorry I could not afford them, or they would certainly be on long-term loan up in Hershey!

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

The estimates were pure fantasy. I am local to both of her "Hoyloke and Deerfield Vally" homes, I like and own some similar items. They wouldn't brink 5k, so 50 is a pipe dream. I bet collectors of early women's lib would pay more than the car collectors. A 1899 Loco steam car purchased new by a lady in 1899 didn't bring 80k at a big auction house and it was a running car, so how is a tin trophy going to be those kind of numbers?

Agree, I certainly thought the "estimates" were rather smokey and may have frightened away potentially serious contenders.   No idea what the reserves were but most likely were way up at that level.  As historically important as they are the value on them was way over-blown.  I would have thought the auction company would have done a much better job marketing them as they seem to be a well established firm.  Perhaps serious automobilia is just out of their wheelhouse.  Wondering what the high bid really was?

Terry