Another what's it worth

Guest BillP

Barn is too small, time to clean house.

I bought a '70 El Camino from the son of the original owner 10 or fifteen years ago. It's a 100,000 mile original Oklahoma/Texas car. Small-block V-8 (I guess it's a 350 and original) automatic with no power-robbing accessories at all; 2 barrel, single exhaust. Originally white, repainted also white but with a broom-like device. Interior is in original pattern but in a sort of corduroy black cloth. Probably the only non-SS-ified El Camino in the universe. The rear lower quarters where the wheel splashed up mud have been poorly repaired, probably by the painter. I bought it in Austin, serviced it, put on tires and brakes and drove it home to Ohio. It has been in the (dry, concrete floor) barn ever since. The last time I monkeyed with it, it ran fine but poured out ATF as fast as I could pour it in. I think all the hard-to-find trim is with it, along with jack, etc. Make a great project for somebody. Clean Ohio title. 

I just looked on Hemmings for comps, and of course, everybody has an SS or equivalent and priced accordingly. This plain-Jane, mostly stock car doesn't compare.

How do I price it?

Thanks, Bill  

Fair condition? If so, Hagerty says $8100. I looked all over but couldn't find the phone number of the guy that would pay that. 

I'd sell at that price, or thereabouts. Or best offer. 

I can adjust my selling price per that formula if you like, but the new price would have to change slightly.

Just to demonstrate that I play fair, to the Occupy El Camino mob, the new price is $35,000. Get in line.

Edited by BillP (see edit history)

The online retail prices generally start with a driving car. I think you could probably get it there, but as is you really would likely have to deduct for a worse case transmission replacement and have to motor running again. Body doesn't look too scary if you're in Ohio, so that could get a north eastern bump. If you are still in Texas, well then there are likely other nice bodies to compete with. Is the clean title in your name, or is it bill of sale to you? That can add expenses for folks in many states if it's not actually in your name.

The car lived its life in Oklahoma and Texas. I was in AustinTX, saw it, bought it and drove it back to NE Ohio. I summer drove it a bit up here and put it in the barn.

Thanks, Bill 

IMO it's worth the weekend to get the car moving on it's own and at the very least identify the trans leak and fix if simple. You'll greatly increase both the end price and the speed at which you find a happy buyer up here that will appreciate the body condition that the car appears to have.

• Like 1