1947 Buick convertible Ez On convertible pad and top installation tips

jackofalltrades70

I have purchased a convertible top kit and pad kit from EZ On Tops. They will not provide instructions for the kit as they say this is a job for a trimmer. I will agree, but I have restored everything else on my 47' Roadmaster convertible and am not going to give up and have someone else do the top.

Any help or tips/pictures of an installation greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not sure if this will help you or not.

Photos show the book you might need and it's table of contents that list adjustments etc. I have an upholstery book that covers convertible tops as well as the service manual for 1965 Buicks that show the installation for mine. I'll look through it at see how far back it goes (after the thunderstorm passes through).

For sale on ebay now for $19.00 (not mine)

convertible 1.jpg

convertible 2.jpg

Here's a photo of a book that helped me. My Buick is nothing like your top though.

And of a photo of my finished top (2012) The local shop gave me an estimate of 1500 $. The materials cost me 1/3 that, so I figured I could put on 3 tops and break even.  Is your top vinyl or canvas? There was a lot of info about installing a top on the threads here. I took photos of my install to write an article for the Bugle, but I haven't completed the article yet. One of the many things on my to do list.

Good Luck

Bill

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1169.JPG

IMG_1168.JPG

IMG_1167.JPG

Edited by wmsue (see edit history)

Thanks Bill for the info and I hope you follow through with the ad for the  Bugle.  You top looks good.  I purchased a tan Hartz canvas top. I have a good idea on how it goes on, was just looking for some "make sure you do this first" tips and maybe "use contact cement here" remarks.  I have a quality air staple gun for upholstery.  

Matt

Your top irons and bows appear to be the typical "four bar mechanism" style that was used from the 1920s up into the early 1950's.  By that, I mean that the location of, and the tension on, the bows, determined by pads/straps, determines the location of the side rails (the hinged part of the top above the windows).

I would think that the pads should have a reinforcing strap of some kind.  You should locate the rear bow with a temporary strap back to the rear tacking strip. I would use a temporary strap on one side in place of a pad, in order to position the top bows and irons, making sure the windows fit the top.* Then, install one pad, stapling to the rear bow and the front bow (it appears the front bow connection point for the side pads is at the rear top edge of the bow).  Once it's all set install the other pad.

*You should have all weatherstrip installed at this point, and you want to spend some time making sure the windows fit the top, or vice versa if you will.  There are numerous adjustments, both to windows and top, and time spent getting these to fit is very important.

Once you have pads installed, position top, working from a centerline on top bows and a centerline on top itself.  There may be flaps on the sides that get glued, and sometimes the front of the top is wrapped around the front bow and glued.  It also may have a tacking strip.  You want to position the top, get it in place on the front bow with just a few staples (I like to use tacks there at first, there easier to take out in the next step).  Once the rear of the top is in place and stapled, you want to mark with chalk where the leading edge of the front of the top is on the front bow, release the front clamps so bow is free, and stretch top around front bow at least half an inch beyond the mark, maybe more, to get the top tight so it won't flap in the wind.

Good luck with the installation.  Installing a top kit isn't difficult, but it's a series of steps that must be followed, have fun!

• Like 2

Back in 1959 my dad and I took the new RAYCO Nylon (vinyl) convertible top off of a Junkyard 1951 Chevy, made our own pads, replaced the tack strips, and installed it on my 1949 Pontiac. For a 17 year-old and his father with no trimmer experience, we were amazed that the finished product was smooth with no wrinkles, and that the top went up and down easily.

Follow the instructions and take it slowly - you'll be fine.

Show us the finished project !!

• 7 months later...
Guest Hot rod Harry

I need help and Info on Instar of a convertible top for 1947 Buick Super.  All my mechanics work. (new Hydraulics and bushings Pump and hoses) My rear floating Bow is made of  metal with a tac strip inside.   I see on your pictures your rear bow seems to be wood  I think I need a wood bow as the top has a lot of material to be attached at this point. The metal bow is what came with the car but was laying in the back seat so I'm not sure if this is correct.  Do you know where to get a wood bow ? Thanks   Harry  (201) 213-4564 or

harry195347@yahoo.com