General: Fuel Tank Restoration and Cleaning

37 Pontiac SilverStreak

All,

I am now ready to connect the new fuel line to my tank; however it needs cleaning.. what do you recommend to use; as I have read many forums about

Cleaning with: Oxalid Acid (wood bleach), 90%+ Acetone, muratic acid, rust remover etc.. both petroleum and water based..

Sealing etc: Por-15, nothing... but fresh gas..

I am told, stay away from water based chemicals for flash rusting, using a chain for breaking up the rust (if any) or something to remove the "gummy old fuel residue"

thank you in advance...

as well, when connecting from the tank to my line, some suggest a rubber flex hose, sounds reasonable.. any suggestions on type.

be careful when using the chain to break the rust free in the tank.  when i did it the chain got caught on the pick-up tube in the bottom of the tank.  and when i try to free it broke the pick-up tube and had to have the tank opened up to repair the tube.  while the tank was open  had it cleaned.

Couple gallons of Evapo-rust . Pricey but effective . Move tank around .filter when done use again on other , non toxic . Or if you can get horse feed molasses and make you own solution . Formula here if you search very good as with evapo takes about a week or more . Not only fuel pick up but may have a baffle in middle ,I say no chains or aggregate .

Edited by ArticiferTom
Add (see edit history)

Plenty of ways to do it yourself, but I've used Gas Tank Renu on more than a few cars and have never been disappointed with their work. It's done right the first time and comes with a lifetime guarantee. Tank doesn't quite look stock afterwords, with a satin black outer coating, but if it's hidden and not part of the design like a Model A, it doesn't matter. It's always been less than $500 to have it done, so it's not hugely expensive. Yes, it's cheaper to do it yourself with some kind of home remedy, but what is your time worth? I guarantee it won't be done as well and you may end up doing it twice. Why mess around?