WTB- 1937 248ci flywheel ring gear

70sWagoneers

A local shop that had experience in these cars simply heated the ring gear, popped it off and flipped it then re-shrunk on to the flywheel. Then they dressed the new teeth faces. That was 28 years ago and have had no problems since.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2016 at 2:00 PM, 70sWagoneers said:

Thats what I said to the old-timer rebuilding my engine, but he said something about a lip so it wouldn't work. I'll have to look at it harder. But, it is definitely wore out on one side!

DSC_1001.JPG

I have done this myself. Don't be put off. An oxy/acetylene setup works fine. Heat it all round right below where the worn teeth are evenly going around the ring gear. Have an assistant tap on the gear opposite side of the worn teeth. Reduce heat if close to cherry color. Support with large diameter iron pipe works well. I just had it on my big bench vise. Use large, (3/16" or so) pin punch and medium hammer evenly tapping while heating. Should drop off. It's tuffer than you think. Reverse procedure for install, heating should drop on but be ready with hammer and punch to urge if needed to assure tight fit on flywheel.I didn't bother with redo for angle on teeth. Didn't want to reduce mass by grinding, also too impatient. Starter teeth are beveled to aide engagement of teeth on flywheel. I'll check my parts book. I may have a gear I can remove and sell/ship to you. PM for particulars if that's how you want to go.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

The ring gear can be expanded and flipped as stated above.  Just heat evenly all around and tap off.  Flip, heat and tap back on.  It does take a lot of heat and patients.  Also, make SURE the surfaces are clean and that the ring gear is fully seated on the flywheel, if not it will vibrate and eventually work its way off.

Robin

My mechanic seems set against it, but Im leaning toward flipping the gear. I'll even put the chamfer on there. But if someone finds a good piece they might want to sell, please let me know. The one I did find was $285!!! Anyone have any wisdom on what cause the gear to get eat up like that?

Thanks everyone.

James C.

I just had my pan and flywheel cover off for the first time since 1988. (To replace the leaky oil pan gasket). The teeth on the flipped ring gear still looks great. I have put on over 6,000 miles in 28 years. The oil pan job was not fun then and has not become more joyful with time. A much younger man than I did this before. In 28 years I still have not acquired a lift.

Are you sure you need to do anything?  Mine looked the same ('38 Special), but when I laid under the car and engaged the starter remotely (be really careful here!) the starter more than engages the full tooth.  I have been running like this for ten years.

Jeff

• Like 1

On 7/16/2016 at 9:09 AM, 70sWagoneers said:

My mechanic seems set against it, but Im leaning toward flipping the gear. I'll even put the chamfer on there. But if someone finds a good piece they might want to sell, please let me know. The one I did find was $285!!! Anyone have any wisdom on what cause the gear to get eat up like that?

Thanks everyone.

James C.

Ya sure, you betcha! Nutin' lasts no more! Warrenty up an ebreeting! Wat dat guy write? U can PM me if ya kneed sompin'? Oh yeah! Just kiddin'. Flip it over, it's yours!

Edited by Guest
Dim bulb! (see edit history)