'65 got sick

jframe

My 401 in my '65 puked a little coolant two different times this past weekend. Didn't seem to be running hot; the water pump was done last fall by the previous owner. It would only do it when I pulled into my carport and killed the motor. I got out, and saw it coming from the overflow hose. Added some water, and didn't notice it again until I returned from a 50 mile road trip Saturday evening. I've been told it is most likely a bad radiator cap. The one on the car looks original, but it doesn't APPEAR bad. Gasket looks good and so forth, but I ordered one of the reproductions that CARS sells. I also plan on flushing the radiator as well; didn't particularly like the looks of the coolant that came out. I have seen lots of mechanics put on water pumps and so forth, then REUSE coolant, so for peace of mind, I think I'll run some Prestone flush thru, and refill with a coolant/water mix. The upper hose seem to have good pressure when hot, but I think that the new cap is a good idea. To be fair, both days here in North Alabama had temps in the mid to upper 90's, so this could have also been a factor. Car runs great with no "hot" lights or anything; any other ideas what this could be, or am I on the right track?

The radiator is not designed to be completely filled to the top as there is no coolant overflow or expansion tank as came on later era cars. Thus,there should be some room allowed in the top tank for coolant expansion. Fill the radiator until the coolant just covers the inside core or fill closer to the top and allow the coolant to seek its own level by boiling over any excess. My bet is you will find the radiator belches a little coolant once or twice and will be OK after that.

Tom

• Like 1

Check your brakes and make sure they aren't dragging after a drive.

I remember a puker that came to a cruise in one night. I started walking away with the owner and he said "Oops!" Then went back and lifted the brake pedal by hand so the brake lights wouldn't drain the battery. That car was in the later stages; lots of mud in the wheel cylinders.

Bernie