Bosch A coil

I have a nickel plated Bosch A coil that I need to have de-plated back to brass.  Has anyone successfully taken the faceplate, knobs and selector levers off without destroying the unit?  Thanks in advance for any help offered.

These pieces are all put together with small rivets/pins. The mounting ring is especially problematic as the fiber cylinder is fragile.

Today we have an expectation that "brass cars" will have no nickel plating and "nickel" cars no brass. That was not the case a century ago. It was common for cars with brass lamps to have nickel plated electrical fittings.

That being said, pre 1910 cars with Bosch ignition would probably have been bare brass. The front of a Bosh A coil though would have been different than later coils and looked like this. I suggest you might look for an early bare brass faced coil.

bosch coil dual c05b.JPG

bosch coil dual c05 a.JPG

Thanks for the reply.  My 1910 Enger 40 originally was equipped with a Remy system which was wisely changed out for a Bosch DU 4 dual magneto long ago.  I found a reasonably priced functioning Bosch A dual coil at Hershey last year, unfortunately it is nickel plated.  The serial number on my coil is 78430, so I would have to assume it is newer than the coil in your pictures.  If a nickel plated coil is appropriate for a 1910 car, I would just as well assume use it as is since it is in good shape, in lieu of finding a new coil or trying to disassemble it to de-plate it.

Nickel electroplating appears in the 1870s as a decorative and rust-preventative coating. The springfield Armory experimented with it having both rifles and revolvers nickel plated for field tests. (the work was done by the Boston Nickel Plating Co.) In his great work, Horseless Carriage Days, Hiram Percy Maxim refers to having many of the small parts on his first engine, built in the mid-1890s, nickel plated.

• 4 years later...